London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
14/11/2013 at 14:09

Hoping someone can offer any advice before i start to move a rather old and large Berberis.

I say old and large it's about 2mtrs tall and a metre and a half at most wide at the top. It has two main trunks that come up out of the ground and then join together about 4" above the soil level, each of these is 2" and 3" in diameter which come together to form a single trunk about 4" in diameter at the most.

http://www.welcomecomputing.co.uk/images/berberis.jpg

Just how violent / aggressive can I be without killing it, this isn't going to be easy.

I'm guessing that I should prepare a hole in advance but what can I do before I transplant it in the new hole, what should I add if anything to the hole? I'm guessing that a thorough prune would be a good idea.

I'm going to wait at least another month before I start.

This is a very nice and old example, I don't want to loose it.

Ideas and suggestions welcome, please help me save this Berberis.

Mark

14/11/2013 at 14:18

Do you really have to move it Mark?  What are you going to do with the space?  It looks so old and large that It may not survive.  

14/11/2013 at 14:42

The Berberis is within 3 to 4FT of the front door and directly opposite and outside the door.  This doorway is within an extremely small very old falling down porch.  The porch requires knocking down, rebuilding / replacing. To one side of the porch and part of the main front wall of the building also requires structural repairs and a stupid badly built UPVC bay window 400mm deep! replacing.

It makes sense to repair the structure of the main building and replace the porch and the stupid bay window with a glazed extension. Not a UPVC conservatory. To provide a spacious seating area to enjoy the rest of the garden and the wildlife within it.

I don't want to move it, but it does make sense to do so, I just don't want to loose it

14/11/2013 at 14:45

I don't think it will survive moving.  It's a very old 'tree'.

I think you have two choices, 

1. leave it where it is and work around it, or
  2. get rid of it

14/11/2013 at 14:46

(Love the berberis, never seen one standing so tall.)

14/11/2013 at 14:51

It can be moved but you will need to take a large root ball. I don't have time to go into exact sizes now but will get back. You'll need to move it in later though

14/11/2013 at 15:01

I can understand now that you want to move it but as other folks here say it probably won't survive.  All you can do is have a go and keep your fingers crossed - it will probably be a strenuous job getting the root ball out without too much damage.  Good luck. 

KEF
14/11/2013 at 15:07

I don't know about moving but I know that ours has had severe pruning, maybe reduced by half at times with no ill effects. I will add it is more of a huge shrub than a tree. I think if it was mine I'd have a go.

14/11/2013 at 16:41

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what would best when prepairing the new hole. General purpose compost or john innings no 3 mixed with rootgrow or just plenty of bonemeal or nothing at all?

14/11/2013 at 17:16

not too much food, it will be an invalid til it makes more root. You will have to stake it very firmly indeed to hold it firm at the base so it can establish new roots. The roots will be large and you need to get a good proportion of the distant roots as they're the ones that take up moisture and nutrients. Much TLC will be required to see it through the first year and only slightly less through the second. 

In theory most things can be moved, but moving that successfully would be beyond me.

14/11/2013 at 18:33
14/11/2013 at 18:35

me too or something else

14/11/2013 at 18:39

Think I'd plant another one, and something else 

14/11/2013 at 19:22

I'm not afraid of a litle hard work so i'm going to give it a go and move it but if it dies i will be planting a new one. I will probably do both at the same time to be honest just in case.

Have you moved a large Berberis or something similar?

If you have i'd like to hear from you.

14/11/2013 at 19:48
Jim Macd wrote (see)

It can be moved but you will need to take a large root ball. I don't have time to go into exact sizes now but will get back. You'll need to move it in later though

Hello Jim Macd,

Hoping to hear from you when your ready, i'll be moving the Berberis probably over the Xmas / New Year break.

Mark

14/11/2013 at 20:08

Might I suggest that MarkF take a dozen or so cuttings (with short  heels of older wood) from this season's shoots on his beloved Berberis?

A sharp pair of secatuers will help to give healthy, clean cuts and then place the material in a sharp sand & seived well-rotted compost 50:50 mix. I'd recommend using 8 or10 inch pots with six cuttings around the rims of each po. Put them in a cold frame to stand through the winter months and bring them out in the spring to prevent any new growth from becoming too spindly.

Best of luck with the extension 'rebuild' project too!

14/11/2013 at 20:19
David Matthews2 wrote (see)

Might I suggest that MarkF take a dozen or so cuttings (with short  heels of older wood) from this season's shoots on his beloved Berberis?

Excellent Idea, i'll be doing that this weekend, thank you

14/11/2013 at 21:06

It's very clear to me....you will not safely move this plant.  It's too big and too old.  Ok, you may surprise us but surprise us you will if it survives.

I cut Darwinii down to 4' from about 15' some 3 years ago for a friend.  It was obstructing a gateway.  My intention was to kill it really.....my friend will not "kill" anything.....then replace it with a camellia.  I thought 50/50 chance of surviving. it is thriving.....much to the delight of my friend but to my disappointment.  

Darwinii is a common plant......seeds everywhere so you might see seedlings in your garden Mark......so I would buy a replacement. 

14/11/2013 at 21:17

Verdun, if it will re-shoot from really old wood, what do you think the chances of survival are if it was hard-pruned this year, down to 2or 3 ft say, and then left a year to reshoot, and then moved?

14/11/2013 at 21:50
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Verdun, if it will re-shoot from really old wood, what do you think the chances of survival are if it was hard-pruned this year, down to 2or 3 ft say, and then left a year to reshoot, and then moved?

An interesting idea but unfortunatley i / the building can't wait that long.

It may fall down on its own! the building that is!

Structural repairs to the building must take place asap and i need to be prepared to pour in the footings for the extension asap after the last frost this next spring.

Thank you though

1 to 20 of 41 messages