Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving honeysuckle

I've got a honeysuckle growing at the side of the patio which the previous owner planted in a narrow space (1 foot wide) between the paving and the house.  It's an east facing wall, but a hot spot, and it completely shades the kitchen window. It needs moving.

The problem is I won't be able to get much of a root ball out. I know they're tough but is that too much to ask?

Then I want to plant it to climb a well established sycamore, which means it will have limited root space anyway.

Am I nuts?

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

I would have moved it a month or two earlier. And I would have cut it back hard so that the much reduced root system would not be overworked when the top growth kicked in (as it will have by now). And I would not put it under a sycamore! It will be starved of nourishment and moisture, and of sunlight. 

In answer to your question - not nuts, but in need of Plan B! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Plan B is to layer several shoots to create some new plants, and then move it in the autumn - then if you lose it you've got some new babies to plant somewhere - but not even a honeysuckle can compete with a syacamore image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540

I have just pulled a few stems up with a bit of root in the past and they have taken. Dove is right, layering good approach too.

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

Thanks all, I thought honeysuckles were woodland type plants so under the tree would be a good idea. Obviously not! I'll wait until the autumn and put up with a dark kitchen this summer image

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

They are woodland plants - I had a woodland with lots of birch and rowans (light canopy)  and a few oak and beech amongst them. The native honeysuckles went for the birch and rowans, but the flowering was sparse, and mostly near the top of the trees.