Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving peony

I found a peony in the garden last year and it never flowered.  It isn't in full sun, so I'm thinking of moving it now it has popped up as couldn't find it before. 

I know I may lose this years flowers but would it be an idea to move it to another part of the garden with more sun ? 

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    It should be ok to move it, just remember NOT to plant deep.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

They do say that peonies don't like to be moved and take a while to establish.  I have one in my garden that pushed it's way under the fence from my neighbours garden and it's position in my garden is north facing with no sun at all and it flowers every year.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    I've moved mine almost every year and at different times, they have always flowered, just think the deep planting is often the biggest problem, keep roots as undisturbed as possibl, have the new hole ready, water well , firnlm gently down etc. Mine have never been precious so the risk of moving has always been worth it. Hope it works out ok for you too.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Paeonies don't like being moved is one of those things that everyone knows but isn't necessarily true. We had a thread about it some time ago and a lot of us had moved paeonies with total success.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

There you go - an old wives tale.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

great, it will be in a new home in the next few days. wonder what colour it will be image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The trick with paeonies is to make sure the eyes on the roots where the new shoots come from are no more than 2" below the soil surface - more than that and they will sulk and refuse to flower. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

I have a lovely pink paeony that had a wonderful scent but the last few years the buds only reach the size of peas then turn black. I have top dressed it over the years so is it worth digging it up now and replanting it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It could have been unhappy in the wet and cold springs we've had lately.  

Or has the top dressing meant that the soil level is now too high around the crown?

Nut is good at paeonies image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If I'm good it means they thrive on neglectimage

Mine are all shrub/tree plus Molly the Witch and a few other seed raised species paeonies.

In the sticks near Peterborough