Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

In the last three nights I have lost a well-grown broad bean plant. The stem has been munched through about 6cm from the top of the plant and left lying neatly on the ground. I have no idea what could be doing this - I thought slugs but why choose an almost full grown plant? Rabbits would decimate the lot and deer can't get in.

Do any of you have an idea? I will try fleecing them tonight!

The same thing has happened to my cues, ive seen it with marigolds too, im pretty sure its slugs, in my case its my fault as i didnt put any preventative measures in place, a good cheap measure is copper scouring pads- unravel them and then you can put them where ever you need. I have also heard that hoeing the ground around damaged plants helps as the slugs cant follow their trails back. I used to be a big fan of garlic granules, but i havent seen any for ages.

Thank you for that idea! I did not know that copper scourers  existed. I put a ring of copper coins around the row last night and am just off now to check if they were effective!

I got some from the local hardwear shop, you can get proper copper mesh stuff from the plant companies, but scourers are cheaper!