London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
4 messages
14/06/2014 at 11:58

In the last three nights I have lost a well-grown broad bean plant. The stem has been munched through about 6cm from the top of the plant and left lying neatly on the ground. I have no idea what could be doing this - I thought slugs but why choose an almost full grown plant? Rabbits would decimate the lot and deer can't get in.

Do any of you have an idea? I will try fleecing them tonight!

14/06/2014 at 16:56
The same thing has happened to my cues, ive seen it with marigolds too, im pretty sure its slugs, in my case its my fault as i didnt put any preventative measures in place, a good cheap measure is copper scouring pads- unravel them and then you can put them where ever you need. I have also heard that hoeing the ground around damaged plants helps as the slugs cant follow their trails back. I used to be a big fan of garlic granules, but i havent seen any for ages.
15/06/2014 at 09:43

Thank you for that idea! I did not know that copper scourers  existed. I put a ring of copper coins around the row last night and am just off now to check if they were effective!

15/06/2014 at 10:10
I got some from the local hardwear shop, you can get proper copper mesh stuff from the plant companies, but scourers are cheaper!
email image
4 messages