Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My dahlia tubers are not doing anything

I overwintered my dahlia tubers in the garage - I planted them in compost around mid March (same time as Monty Don).  On GW last week he took cuttings from his ones but mine have not done anything at all.  Nothing is coming through at all

Does anyone know what could be the problem and any tips on what to do next ?

• Abby2Abby2 Posts: 101

Mine didnt spring back to life either after overwintering and then potting up for a month  I've just planted mine in the garden and can see a shoot starting to appear (fingers crossed!)

• joslowjoslow Posts: 218

Monty has a heated greenhouse and probably popped his on a heated bench, all of mine are a couple of inches tall, they are mexican plants.image

• Annie5Annie5 Posts: 16

I over wintered mine in the loft and planted in compost same time as Monty.  I put them out in my unheated greenhouse beginning of April and still have them in there just now.  The greenhouse had been insulated with bubble wrap which helps a lot. Some are about 12ins high and some smaller but about three or four still not showing signs of growth.  Living in Scotland I am very pleased with percentage saved over winter.  I have about 33 in total but I won't be planting in border until nearing end of month when all chance of frost has gone. I would persevere as it is still early days yet and it all depends on temperature. Once the weather turns warmer you may find a difference. Good luck.

• Thanks everyone, yes will persevere as you say and keep hoping for signs of life. 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

How deep in the pot did you plant the tubers, have you been keeping them damp and are the tubers solid?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I've found a guaranteed way to get something to grow is to buy a replacement - it will then grow and you will have twice as many as you needed image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

I've found a guaranteed way to get something to grow is to buy a replacement - it will then grow and you will have twice as many as you needed image

I like the style!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Only the other day I was  looking online for sellers of Boskoop Glory and today mine has sprung into action image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi Blairs  I planted them a couple of inches deep - is that deep enough or too deep?  I have been keeping them just damp and yes the tubers are solid. 

• There is no doubt that without the benefit of artificial heat  all dahlias are a bit slow to get started this year ( a bit like me). However I now have a couple that are showing signs of life in their pots. 

Dahlias get going when they feel ready and not before... I don't think it matters when you actually pot them on since if it is cold it doesn't matter if they are potted up, or still waiting in their box or packet. This year they will be a little late. However the current warmer weather should make all the difference.