London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
5 messages
18/04/2013 at 20:59

My poor new rhubard plant was planted last year in a huge tub of fresh Miracle Grow.  It grew a few shoots then the leaves turned orange and the whole plant collapsed.  This year it has sent up new growth and is starting to do the same.  Is this some kind of disease?  It has the Award of Garden Merit for performing well but something has gone very wrong!

19/04/2013 at 00:42

Rhubarb is usually easy going and disease free. I wonder if it is too wet sitting in in a tub of compost.

19/04/2013 at 06:06

Yes, rhubarb is usually tough as old boots - it comes from Chna and Russia where winters are a bit tougher than in the UK!  My thoughts are the same as Tootsietim's - is it too wet?

Cold is one thing, cold and wet is something much worse!

My rhubarb (planted in open ground last spring) survived the winter and has already given me 3 good pickings this spring. 

19/04/2013 at 07:20
I'm wondering if the tub's got adequate drainage holes. What's it made of? Terracotta, wood, plastic...?
19/04/2013 at 07:49

Since more plants die from waterlogging than cold I'd have to agree with the others Shirley. It's more likely to be the drainage and/or location.

email image
5 messages