London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
3 messages
04/06/2013 at 17:09

My neighbour has used a weedkiller to exterminate ANYTHING that grows in his garden - preferring a stone terrace and no blades of grass Unfortunately it has crept under the conifer hedge and left a 2 metre swathe of dead or dying plants my side!! I am losing my beloved shrub roses/budlea/lilacs/alliums BUT not my camelias/rhododendrons/azaleas who seem to like this treatment

1. is there anyway to resurrect my roses??? and 2. could I be right in assuming that this is an acid attack, which is why acid loving plants are fine?? I do not know what he has used - we are not speaking!!!

04/06/2013 at 17:16

Talk to him and find out what he used. Some weedkillers are persistant in the soil for three years. I feel he owes you for the cost of replacing all the plants. If he won't talk to you then your only recourse would be legal action.

However all that happens then is the solicitors get rich.

If it's a persistant weedkiller then you may need to dig out and replace all the soil, before replanting. If it's an acid then you could try neutralising it with sodium bicarbonate.   Have you got a PH tester?

04/06/2013 at 17:44

He denies using anything! Although his garden is now like a desert and very, very yellow!!! Thanks for the bicarb idea - I have renewed alot of the soil and burnt the dead plants, plus added tons of my own compost, now the worms look sick!!. Next idea was to move the plants? Should I pot them up first to see what happens? I have some big containers.

email image
3 messages