London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
23/03/2014 at 14:06
Hi, I'm new to gardening.I have started my garden in containers for now, but I'm super excited! Yesterday there was a brief spell of hail and the night temperature dropped to 1C, can anyone please tell me if this will harm my seedlings? I covered then last night. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated
23/03/2014 at 14:09

Hi loony gardner  What have you sown?

23/03/2014 at 14:12
Hi
I sowed peppers, beet roots, aubergines, tomatoes and carrots....I've got seedlings from the beets, tomatoes and peppers, waiting on the others still. Do you think the seedlings will survive?
23/03/2014 at 14:14

Are they in your house, in a greenhouse or outside?

23/03/2014 at 14:22
Outside
23/03/2014 at 14:24

The beets and carrots  might be OK

23/03/2014 at 14:28

The good news is .....Beetroots and carrots will be fine 

The bad news is .... aubergines, peppers and tomatoes need warmth to germinate - are you sure they've germinated outside  - they need to be sown indoors on a warm windowsill or in a heated propagator, then potted on and kept warm and only planted out when all risk of a frost is over - even then  peppers and aubergines really need to be in a greenhouse and only some varieties of tomatoes will do well outside. 

So, I'm afraid you'll have to write them off, put it down to experience and start again, but not just yet .......... 

I'm not sowing my tomatoes until next month.........

23/03/2014 at 14:34
Awww....so should I start again with seeds in little yogurt pots on my window sill? Or should I wait until next month? The problem is, my Windows face east and west-no south facers. I don't have a propagator, should I get one?
Thanks for your helpful comments, dovefromabove and nutcutlet, otherwise I would have kept watering them and thinking why they don't grow!
Lyn
23/03/2014 at 14:41

Start them off in pots, not many tomatoes grow outside, I grow mine in a bed in the greengouse, the peppers in the conservatory. They grow to at least 3' tall, so make sure you have room for them. Maybe you live in a very warm calm area, you could get away with growing then outside. Look for seeds that can be grown outside.  Seeds germinate very well without a propagator, I have never had one.  Sure,it will bring your seeds up in a few days, but then what, you cant even put them in a cold green house yet.

23/03/2014 at 14:43

Wait until next month - I'll be starting my tomatoes off in mid to late April on the dining room and kitchen windowsills which are east facing and as soon as I dare I'll transfer them to the little growhouse outside which I'll have to fleece or bubblewrap if we get a bad cold snap.  

For a What to do When guide, have a look at the top of this website - it has a What to do now section which is helpful, although if you live to the north of the UK you'll probably find you need to be a week or two later than the timings shown. 

23/03/2014 at 14:45
Thanks Lyn
I live in Essex, we had a scorching summer last year. So for now, it's the window sill, right? I'm glad I don't need a propagator, I spent a lot of money on pots, seeds and heading supplies!
I'm so looking forward to my own veggies this year....do I need a greenhouse then?
23/03/2014 at 14:47
Thanks dovefromabove, I'll clear my window sills then
Going off to browse the guide!
This is a cool forum!
23/03/2014 at 16:27

Hi Loony, I'm a newbie too, I found you can buy small, but effective greenhouses in Wilkos, and B&M bargains for between £10-15, they aren't the best money can buy, but offer lots more protection than nothing at all. I propagated my seedlings indoors for a week and have got lots of promising seedlings, and have since moved them to the greenhouse we got from B&M. The only 'veg' I'm hoping to grow is a pepper called 'patio sizzler' I don't know whether I'm going to get much from it though, I only have one stringy looking seedling thus far.

Good luck!

23/03/2014 at 17:23

Most seeds germinate to produce young seedlings in a temperature range of 15 - 24 deg C. They will then need to be grown on inside if they are frost tender (Half Hardy). If the plant is labelled 'Hardy' on the seed packet then it will tolerate low temperatures and frost and can be grown on in a cold frame/unheated greenhouse (eg: sweet peas).

MH

23/03/2014 at 17:49
Hi SweetPea 93, thanks for the tip, there's a new B&M recently opened near my house, I think I'll get one of those greenhouses, there was hail again today please let me know how your seedlings do, it'll be nice to compare notes with another newbie
Thank you MH, I'll be sure to buy the 'hardy'seeds from now on,I didn't even know about this!
Lyn
23/03/2014 at 18:03

I used to live in Essex, it seemed to have real seasons, summer and winter, same when i lived in Kent. Now i am in Devon, close to Dartmoor, the seasons just blend into each other, you dont get that different times.  Those plastic greenhouses are good, but you do need to tie them to something, the wind plays havoc with them.

Dont worry if your seedlings look leggy, just repot when they have a couple of sets of leaves, put then deep in the new pots, almost up to the 1st set of leaves. Keep potting on when the roots show out of the pots, pop in deep again, then by the time the weather is warm you will have lovely plants.

23/03/2014 at 20:13

Yeah I have one of those mini greenhouse and I am onto my second this year. I weighted the base down with old tiles and thought that will never move. It didn't it just tore in half at the base and still blew away.

23/03/2014 at 20:36

I have polytunnels one on the allotment and one at home on hard standing, I have learnt painfully that they have to be very well secured.

For the one in the garden I have drilled into the concrete and fitted ground anchors near the front and back of the poly on either side, I then pass 6mm rope over the top of the poly and secure it to the anchors I do the same inside and attach it to the frame work. Its worked so far and we've had some strong winds.

For the allotment I do the same but use 12" long auger anchors.

24/03/2014 at 00:08
Ok, so I'll have to secure them well then....Thanks for all the input, there's so much to learn!
Btw, I have sown more seeds indoors today, in little pots and placed then on the window sill....that's where they'll stay till it's warm and they have a few leaves....I hope I won't make anymore mistakes this time, I really want to grow something!
24/03/2014 at 00:09
So I should definitely buy a little greenhouse, huh?
1 to 20 of 30 messages