Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

yvette303

Dear all,

I took advantage of a GW special offer and just the other week, received my seedlings as follows - Echinacea primadonna, lavender hidcote, Penstemon tubular bells, Geum Mrs bradshaw, Delphinium Pacific Giants and Digitalis Excelsior.

I have lovingly potted each one on this afternoon (all 36!) but cant help but wonder what to do with them next considering the time of year? If I plant out later wont I be puting them at the mercy of the atumn / winter weather and lose them all?

This is my first attempt at growing from seedling so do excuse my ignorance!

Any advice very gratefully received

yvette303

Thank you so much kate1123 - the links are very helpful. Looks like I'm not the only one to have been confused!  

They're on my kitchen window sill atm. Dont know where they'll end up next - I havent got a greenhouse. Hmmm maybe time to buy one? This could end up a very expensive "free" gift lol.

hollie hock

Hello yvette, they are small when they first arrive, but after potting on they do really well. Kate is right for finding a sheltered spot for them outside, over the Autumn & Winter.

You could make a coldframe for them or get a little mini greenhouse (cheap at Wilkos & B&M at the moment) or shelter them outside somewhere not exposed, depending on where you live.

yvette303

Thanks Hollie-Hock. I was thinking about a little mini greenhouse as I'm sure I'll make use of it again.