London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
7 messages
21/03/2013 at 12:39

Abit of background, I found this tree on the road in a pot just after Christmas and felt sorry for it - I am a sucker I know that! Anyway I picked it up and planted it out in my garden. I know zero about trees and gardening, I do not even know what type of tree it is, although I think it is a Scots Pine.  All I do know is that it appears to be dying from the top downwards and that it has these brown spots on the leaves that still look healthy.   It is in a patch of earth not with any other trees and the trees that are in the nearby area seem perfectly healthy. I am in the UK, and the weather here is still pretty wintery - cold and rain, so I doubt it is an insect related problem? It has been very very wet here for the past 3 months, I wonder whether that something to do with it? or the earth [no idea what it is] is deficient in something it needs? I would really appreciate any advice on what I can do to help it. Many thanks.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/StephanieandRuby/My%20Rescued%20Christmas%20Tree/IMG_9345_zps0b8be30e.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/StephanieandRuby/IMG_9342_zps623ebfb9.jpg

21/03/2013 at 13:02

Stephanie2, you do not say whether it had roots or not, an old Christmas tree perhaps, also Pines normally grow on high or sloping ground good drainage.
Did you give a thought to how large it will be if it does manage to grow and have you the room in your garden.
All this is guesswork, I am not a lover of pines but it does look as if it had dried out too much to take up water again. It could even have red spider mite which leaves the brown area's you speak of. I put this post on to lift it back to the top as it is interesting to see what comes up.

Frank.

Lyn
21/03/2013 at 14:19
What sort of leaves has it got? Can you describe please. Stephanie. I can't see your photo bucket without a link on my tablet.
21/03/2013 at 14:35

HI Frank, thanks for posting, yes it definately had roots attached and was perfectly healthy.  As for the height - if the poor thing survives, I assumed I could just pinch the top out ot stop it from growing upwards anymore?  Would spider mite be a problem this time of year?? 

HI Lyn, thanks for you message, the leaves are typical conifer leaves - tiny little green leaves.  What I see is that the tips on some of the leaves have turned a rusty brown colour, and this looks to be spreading along the leaves.  I would say around 30% of the tree is affected at the moment, the leaves at the very top of the tree are all brown and look dead.

21/03/2013 at 14:51

Heres is the link guys (I think stephanie just forgot to hit enter after pasting it)

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/StephanieandRuby/My%20Rescued%20Christmas%20Tree/

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy104/StephanieandRuby/IMG_9342_zps623ebfb9.jpg/ 

Im not an expert here Stephanie, but did you water the tree before you planted it? Was the hole big enough for the roots to expand? Did you put any compost etc in the hole? 

Also I understood that connifers and fir trees died from the roots & stem first so any dead foliage would show at the middle bit not the tips. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it.

21/03/2013 at 15:21

Cannot see your photo's Stephanie my antivirus kicked in.
Red Spider mite do not like damp conditions although if there is good foliage cover they could be warm and snug inside. I washed them out of mine by hosing the foliage everyday for a while.
It does sound more like die back once that happens it takes a while to green up if ever it does. I would cut off a piece see if the main branch is dried out or still growing, check the brown foliage to see if there is anything on it, spider mite are very small.
Is it waterlogged at the root, has it shaken loose at the root with the wind. Scrape a bit of soil away from the root carefully and see if new root is growing or has it shrivelled. I would be in there prodding and poking trying to find the answer.
Your post is now back at the top, we could yet snare an expert with this one.

Frank.

Lyn
21/03/2013 at 15:38
I bought Christmas tree last year in a pot that was rooted, but after a while it died in the garden.
The seller said he could not guarantee it would take.
I seem to remember a whole thread on this at Christmas time, maybe you could look in the search box and get some more info.
email image
7 messages