London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
4 messages
13/05/2013 at 16:07

Hi all

Can anyone help me out with identifying something that may or maynot be a pest? I found two of my very young red hot poker's leaves stuck together to make a cosy nest for a chrysalis. It has a yellow/brown body with a very smart, emerald green head end and developing wings. I don't want to squish it unless it's something unhelpful.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23502.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

It's not a great image but hopefully you can make out the critter at right angles to the leaf 

Thanks

13/05/2013 at 17:02

a bit hard to tell it may be a moth,there is one that is very colourful and a beautiful thing sort of pink and green.just let it be .

13/05/2013 at 18:59

Why dont you put the entire piece in a jam jar  , a piece of paper  on top with holes in  but not too big holes . I use a bodkin needle or equivelant  .secure with a rubberband  and put it in a dry but sunny place . maybe in a green house, shed ,, somewhere dry outside , or depending what you think   maybe the window sill . . What  ever it turns out to be it is left for you to decide wether to let it go into the garden  or squish it !  It is very intresting to watch a chrysalis turn into a moth or butterfly specialy if you have  small children !

13/05/2013 at 19:08

Thank you! I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find it even on google images . Maybe it's a pupa instead - hmmm.

email image
4 messages