Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nasturtium leaves yellowing

I have grown nasturtium in a container and the leave are yellowing and look anaemic. I have some growing in the ground and they are very lush and green. I used two thirds old compost in the container as I read too much nutrients reduces the flowering of the plants however I am wondering if perhaps they are deficient in nutrients. I never water the container now as again I read this causes lots of foliage and no flowers however we have had a lot of rain lately. Should I feed them and what with?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Stick your finger in the compost - if it's dry under the surface give them a good soaking.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

To add....pick off the yellowing leaves, I've had the same problem. It's nothing to worry about.  

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Thanks ill have a check of the compost and pick the leaves off

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Hi cairnsie, my nasturtiums had slightly yellowish leaves when I put them in my tubs and I think it was because I sowed them way too early and they became a little pot bound. Now their roots have had a chance to spread,I personally keep the compost moist and the leaves are now a healthy green (a reasonable number of flowers too) image