London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
16 messages
05/08/2013 at 13:59

I wear shorts and short socks and get what looks like two puncture wounds about 50 mm apart which cause my leg to itch like mad and sweel up and leave hard areas under the skin

This can last for 5 days

? Is this a spider bite or result of contact with a particular plant

Experiences please

Yes I will have to wear long trousers and tuck into socks

05/08/2013 at 14:09

Where are you and what are you doing when this happens?  Do I understand it's a regular occurance?

05/08/2013 at 14:09

.Mozzie

horse fly, various

ant

assorted other biting insects that are going well at the moment.

I think you can forget spiders and plants

Horseflies can bite through trousers 

05/08/2013 at 15:39

Whatever it is, it's got big jaws if it makes punctures two inches apart.

05/08/2013 at 15:49

too right. Joe. that's a terrifying thought. I think we have to assume two bites though

I've got a good one at the base of my ring finger. Thought I'd have to take the finger to the workshop to get the ring cut off. But it's receding now. Itching still driving me mad though

05/08/2013 at 18:37

I have been suffering the same,

mine went into blisters .

double  dose antihistermine

with bug repellent and i  was still attacked!!!

05/08/2013 at 19:00

I think the fact that they are 2 inches apart isn't significant in itself. Just two bites. There is a little insect that looks a bit like a linseed in size and shape but has a chequerboard pattern on its back. It can fly but is generally seen rushing about on plants and in flowerheads. It eats other insects bites humans without provocation. In Scotland, it was always called a berry bug, in England I've heard it called a flower bug. Its Latin name, I have discovered is Anthocoris nemorum.

I never usual squish any insect as I think that everything has a use but in this case I kill on sight.

05/08/2013 at 19:36

New Boy 2 - sounds like gnats! You're not aware of actually being bitten till a few hours later. I had 2 bites on my leg, one on my back, one just under my eye - my face just looked like a tammienorrie's for a few days (although they are much more attractive!)

08/08/2013 at 19:37

I have not been receiving the email notifications for some reason

Joe The Gardner50mm is not 2 inches if it was I would suspect my ex wives !!Sorry ladiesDove from above.

Bending down pulling up weeds and kneeling down

the bites are just above the short sock line and on my hands

Its happened on 3 occasions now....very itchy and swollen and painful

WaterbuttsLooked up the latin name and my moneys on the flower bug

Sue Higham..........whats a tammienorrie

Thanks for all the answers and the ankle is just going down after 5 days but is still swollen and I am off walking in the Outer hebrides on Monday

08/08/2013 at 20:56

Try using Avons Skin So Soft dry oil moisturiser, is smells better than jungle formula and it helps deter all sorts of nasties.  If you do get bitten try neat lavender oil or aloe vera gel.  Have a lovely time on Monday

08/08/2013 at 21:05

50mm is 2" NewBoy...whichever school you went to!! 

Do you mean 5mm? 

08/08/2013 at 21:09

You'll probably get plenty more midge bites in the Outer Hebrides 

08/08/2013 at 21:17

I tend to wear my jeans in the garden now, i love being out there but cant stand the itchy bites.

08/08/2013 at 22:28

Anniemarshy is right about Avon Skin So Soft. A Scottish friend gave it to me when she heard that we had a lot of midges. I thought it was a joke.

It really works. The smell is quite overpowering and my husband refuses to wear it in case visitors get the wrong idea, but one person wearing it seems to do the trick for two.

08/08/2013 at 22:52

"I am off walking in the Outer hebrides on Monday"

OH, LUCKY, LUCKY YOU, New Boy2!  After the most memorable experience of my life (after having my babies!) and aboard the Calmac Ferry from Tarbert to Uig I watched the the boat split a pod of porpoises and all around us were the most beautiful Tammienorries ..... Puffins!

Enjoy every moment!! 

... and - Skin So Soft - YES!!! It's the only thing I use and I never travel without it!  The day I got bitten in my own garden I'd forgotten to lather myself with it - stupid!

... and - I've not been getting email notifications either.

08/08/2013 at 23:39

My son was bitten on his heel years ago, 2 puncture marks about 5mm apart. It was a viper and he was very ill.

email image
16 messages