London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16 messages
01/06/2013 at 11:56

Hi there all

i have some nice neighbours that put in a six foot fence.i would like to grow some climbing plants on it. could you give me some advice.

the fence causes a two or three foot shadow on my side so plants will be in the shade in the morning.

many thanks  

new gardener

01/06/2013 at 12:03

Don't know, but I have the same problem!

01/06/2013 at 12:15

hi Sara 4

lets hope someone can help us out.

i tryed to grow climbing roses but the leaves went pale green/yellow.

light prob me thinks

01/06/2013 at 13:53

Akebia and Hydrangea petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea) come to mind as does most Clematis and even the Kiwi Vine.

Has the nieghbour said that you can grow things on their fence? If it is theirs then you have no right to touch it - so no staining, painting, hanging clothes lines, plants etc on it. Better to ask (on paper in case they move) before adding vines to it.

01/06/2013 at 14:42

What you can do, even if the neighbours don't want you growing things on their fence or you don't want to ask, is erect a free-standing trellis right up against it and grow things up that.  A trellis looks much better than a bare fence in winter when your climbers have gone to sleep, too.  It's very easy to do - just drive in a 6 foot long 2" x 2" stake every 6 feet and use 6 foot long trellis panels (or expanding trellis packs), screwing it to the stakes.  Treat it with a fence treatment before planting and you won't have to maintain it for at least 5 years.

01/06/2013 at 14:52

I would agree with Bob.

01/06/2013 at 14:59

thanks all for all your replies.

no probs with the nieghbours can put what i want on it. have a Clematis planted at the moment and is very sad for its self.thankyou blairs for the sugestion of  Hydrangea petiolaris i take it that it dont mind been in the shade in the morning.

thanks again

01/06/2013 at 15:06

Most Clematis will be happy Anthony but I wouldn't personally put Hydr. petiolaris on a fence- it's more suited to a wall. If you've lanted recently don't worry- many plants are taking a little time to establishbecause of the poor spring- they don't know if they're coming or going! Just take time to prepare the site properly before you plant anything. There may be a fair bit of compaction of the ground if the fence is newly done. You can also put in shrubs which will be happy trained against a fence and that will give you a bit more scope. Escallonia and Ceanothus to name a couple. They like a decent free draining soil but if you don't have that there are others you can try.

15/07/2013 at 07:37

hi all just thought i would give some update to my fence problem that you all comment about.

well the climbing red rose  that i planted but do not know the name is growing now and i have had two flowers on it. the clemits also started to grow and is about two or two and half foot tall with one single bud on it. bothe plants are getting a lot more sun since june.

thanks again for the help

15/07/2013 at 08:50

I have Boston ivy on fence with plain ivy ,they both olily get after no eve sun but reward me will a lovely display. took a couple of year to really get going ,but now they self cling and change colours though the season 

16/07/2013 at 06:46

very nice julia  much better than a plain fence

16/07/2013 at 07:52

Glad it's going well Anthony 

I should have clarified before that Hydr. petiolaris is great  because it grows best in shade so it would have been ideal, and although I said I prefer it on walls that doesn't mean you can't grow it on a fence - in fact I have a fence here that it would be ideal for! It's evergreen too so it's a good alternative to ivies if you want to screen the fence all year round (and let's be honest - they're not attractive things!) and has large flat heads of white flowers. Boston ivy has great Autumn colour so that's a lovely climber to use too thought not evergreen.

16/07/2013 at 10:59

my neighbours fence is covered on ivy

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27615.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

comes through from their side.. i leave it for bees and buttterflies etc.. and look green all year

16/07/2013 at 12:24

I grow a Hydrangea petiolaris up my six foot fence without any problems. I trim it off at the top. The blackbirds love to nest in it. The fence does belong to me though. You could always plant small trees and bushes to make an attractive screen.

19/07/2013 at 09:33

thankyou all for your replys the clemitis has not opened its bud yet so will put a pic up when it dose

19/07/2013 at 13:36

Hydranga Petiolaris is lovely once it gets going, but it can be a bit slow.  It enjoys a north-facing aspect, but ours is not evergreen, is that unusual?

Gardenfanatic, perhaps I'm odd, but I wouldn't let an ivy plant get that out of control, especially if it wasn't mine.  And those ash trees seem to be too near the fence in the background.

email image
16 messages