London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
20 messages
23/02/2013 at 16:20

I've been looking into giving Nematodes a go this Spring and was just wondering if after applying them I can sow my veg/salad crops in the beds.....it says they're animal, wildlife and children friendly but no-where can I find whether its safe to plant veg etc., after treatment:/ Hope someone out there can help me I feel a victory (albeit a pricey victory) coming on hehe.....

Lyn
23/02/2013 at 16:37
They are safe to use with veg planting, it's not a chemical but a living worm. You can't use them yet though, must wait till soil is warm, not before 3nd week of march at least.
23/02/2013 at 16:47

Okay thank you...I've ordered them but they're not delivered until March so hopefully the soil will have warmed because I'm impatient to get the little critters all my hard work last year and all i had to show was fat slugs roaming my garden...and I swear they were smirking!

23/02/2013 at 16:50

You need an avatar

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n627/thedogcody/image_zps54d04d7f.jpg

23/02/2013 at 17:07
These nematodes occur naturally in the soil anyway. You are just adding to that and improving the odds. I found them to be effective
23/02/2013 at 17:56

I did thank you Sotongeoff...I printed off the cabbage wars and pinned it in my greenhouse...makes me smile

23/02/2013 at 19:14

Like you after the on slaught on my plants/seedlings last year I'm thinking of using these this year. Was a bit unsure about them, but have been reading peoples advice/information on here. How expensive are they?

23/02/2013 at 19:30

I've just ordered the small pack which covers 40square metres for approximately six weeks; they cost £9.25 plus p&p which came to £11.25. It does say to re-do after six weeks to get the maximum benefit but I'll wait and see as Verdun said they are naturally in the soil anyway and this gives them a boost....hoping it may be enough of a boost to stop the cycle...probably a bit too hopeful of me but who knows I spent hours every evening last year bashing the slimy little critters and will do again but I'd rather spend the time enjoying my garden

23/02/2013 at 19:44

Thanks for the info. Too pricey for me to do the whole garden but I still might use them on one bed which causes me the most trouble.

Lyn
23/02/2013 at 20:32
They are on ebay for 22.50 post free to cover 100 square metres. You will need to do it again in 6 to8 weeks though. They will have another 2 weeks shelf life when they arrive, you need to keep them in the fridge for that time.
23/02/2013 at 21:08

Thanks Lyn, Do you use them? I have been put off using them in the past due to the expense, and also a bit a wary of putting stuff into the ground. I try where ever possible not to use any chemical controls. From what I've read on here, this seems to be a non chemical way of dealing with the slugs and snails

Lyn
23/02/2013 at 21:59
I did use them last year, had to do it twice through the season, but they did work and are not chemical, birds can safely eat the slugs and it doesn't harm your veg.
24/02/2013 at 13:09

I used Slug Gone last year. It is non chemical. You don't need much as it really bulks up when you water it. Also they say at the end of the season it improves soil. It didn't totally wipe out the slugs but I didn't have very many to worry about.

24/02/2013 at 13:23

Hi all we also were plagued by the S&S last year, so this year i attacked with pellets on St  Valentines day ,But it looks like the expected massacre didn't happen as no dead enemies anywhere, so was it too wet, too cold or what ? are they still liurking there  just waiting for warmer weather and can i still catch them before they mate, as here in Tenby we have had a full week of no rain,, Honest a full week anybody know when the S&S invasion might start, as  with our planting plans next month i need to do as much damage as poss ASAP  ( Sell- a- gare) ( obviosly i dont speak French but i know it was old Napoleon who said it) i need help not with French with the slug invasion Good luck all Alan4711

24/02/2013 at 13:39

Alan

The Valentines day comment was a joke-they are still asleep-but will wake up as soon as it gets a bit warmer

24/02/2013 at 16:09

Soto ,you have no idea how many of our allotmenteers iv told ,no wonder all the little pellets are still there , and all the Valentines cards i signed and put out for the slugs  on there supposedly  last supper are all still there no wonder they didn't take em if their still kipping,,,,  iv been ad  nice one matey , 

Alan4711

24/02/2013 at 17:18

Totally safe as far as I know.

Too cold now though.

28/02/2013 at 10:22

Try.....The slugbell ....The World's best and safest slug control device.
www.slugbell.com
it does work ,will last for 10 years and it protects birds..youtube slugbell and see how it works..

28/02/2013 at 10:46
iszzyinn2 wrote (see)

Try.....The slugbell ....The World's best and safest slug control device.
www.slugbell.com
it does work ,will last for 10 years and it protects birds..youtube slugbell and see how it works..

Mm-well you would say that wouldn't you?-seeing as you are connected to the slugbell company

28/02/2013 at 11:09

I've just got my 'Green Gardener' catalogue through the post this morning, and it has lots of anti-slug things in it, including nemaslug, they have one-off treatments, and treatment programmes, meaning you get one pack every six weeks, so it kind of reminds you you need to re-apply it.  The standard pack (3 packs, so 18 weeks' worth) costs 32.50, and treats 40sq m (50sq yds).  They've got other stuff in there too, including slug tape (does work, I've tried it from ebay), shocka rolls & mats (thinking of getting some of the mats for my strawberry planters), slug gone, copper bands, hosta halos and a range of slug traps.

I'm not connected with the company in any way, but as I have lots of birds and a couple of frogs in my garden, try to garden in a way which won't harm them, as they are a joy to see in the mornings, I'd hate to harm them in any way by using slug pellets.  I'm also going to try growning caulis, sprouts and broccolli this  year, and I've heard that the slug gone is very useful to use as a mulch around them.

They also have other stuff in there, including ladybird larvae, glue bands, sulphur rose (for treating blackspot), you name it, they have a biological or eco-friendly way to control the problem.  I could spend a fortune there!

email image
20 messages