Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nesting bees

Any thoughts on how to deter bumble bees from nesting in a flower border next to someone's outdoor seating area? Nest itself isn't a nuisance, just the constant air traffic...Obviously don't want to harm the bees, just encourage them to relocate.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Let them bee...if the queen has chosen her spot, then so bee it.

I had a bumble bee nest in my flower border right on top of my sun spot last year without the slightest trouble. You can hear them, you can watch them, I even filmed them, I never once felt any conflict and I honestly spent a lot of hours sun bathing and reading there.

The nest was taken over by a cuckoo bee that doesn't have nest building abilities and Bumble bees only live for forty days, so the whole thing was defunct by July.

Contrary to popular opinion, bumble bees don't swarm and a lot of them can't even sting,image

• jude5jude5 Posts: 65

I agree with you Wintersong, they won't be there all that long and we need all the bees we can get.

• I agree with you too - but my client doesn't. I will try to talk her round!