London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
5 messages
17/09/2012 at 19:44

Hi,

I sowed a new lawn 4 months ago and it seemed to thrive really quickly because of all the rain in June and July.  It's now starting to go a bit brown and has lots of broad leaf weeds throughout it.  The ground was previously covered in gravel for at least 10 years, so I thought the brownness could be because of lack of nutrients.

The last issue of GW suggested applying autum feed in September to strengthen the roots over winter,  This seemed ideal, until I got the packet home and read that it should not be used on grass less than 12 months old.  Other grass feed I've seen in BnQ says don't use on grass less than 6 months old.

So my quandry is to feed and risk damaging the grass, or leave the grass and potentially allow it to be taken over by more weeds or die off?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Nick

17/09/2012 at 20:09

Personally I wouldn't . I would leave it until Spring and just grub the larger weeds out or you could risk damaging it further.

17/09/2012 at 20:15

It wont die off and the weeds, like the grass, will start growing slower as the days shorten and the temperatures drop

I would leave well alone and apply a spring lawn weed and feed treatment next year -grass is pretty resilient

You can spot treat the broad leaf weeds in the meantime or just grub them out

17/09/2012 at 22:51
Nick, just keep mowing and live with the weeds til next spring. I'm very impatient and decided to apply feed and weed on a young lawn. Not my best decision. Young grass is susceptible until at least 6 months old. Next spring I would do as sotongeoff says, except for grubbing out weeds.
19/09/2012 at 13:00

Great thanks all.  Seems pretty unanimous.

Nick

email image
5 messages