London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
03/02/2013 at 11:38
Hi everyone Just purchased a new piece of land to extend my original garden. The land at the moment is grass and weeds with a few bricks on clay soil. what is the best plan of action after all the debre has been shifted to get the most out of the soil? The plot is going to have a pond area, lawn, patio and borders. Any advice will be great to get the most out of this piece of land.
03/02/2013 at 11:47
I would get some ideas down on paper so you know where you are heading, see where you sunny parts are, whether you are puttin structures in like pergola etc better to do now that later. Mine was a slab of grass and clay too. I'm still working on it to be honest. Good luck sounds fun.
03/02/2013 at 14:32

Get a load of well-rotted manure and some compost (? farmer, riding school, local council, cheap bags full). You will need it for the borders if you have clay. It will help make the soil more workable later.

03/02/2013 at 16:26
Thanks for the feedback.
Do you recommend adding grit to the mix to prevent a waterlogged lawn?
03/02/2013 at 17:11

I once recommended adding coarse sand and grit to clay and someoneelse wrote in to say you shouldn't do that, it would make it worse. But I didn't really understand as it made the patch of soil I added it to much better. Perhaps you would need too much for a whole lawn. See if anyone else answers. Manure in th beds will feed plants as well.

03/02/2013 at 17:40

How about some photos of the land?

03/02/2013 at 18:59

Adding grit and coarse sand, as well as as much compost & manure as you can lay your hands on, will always improve clay soil, so would strongly suggest you do that. If the land has a history of becoming waterlogged though, it would be worth getting a professional to look at it with a view to perhaps getting some land drainage pipes laid before you get started.  However, with all of the rain we've had over the last few months, if the land is not waterlogged right now it probably doesn't need serious extra drainage and adding grit/compost should help a great deal. 

email image
7 messages