London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
17 messages
28/05/2013 at 14:52

Hi everyone, new to the forum and greenhouse garding in general. I have planted loads of everything this year, most things have taken and are growing well, but I think I have a problem with either leggy seedlings or damping down.

Now these are just terms I have found using google, basically I have some seedlings growing quite well, but with very thin and weak stalks.

Any help greatly appreciated.....

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272/hail-hail/Garden/IMG_1578.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272/hail-hail/Garden/IMG_1575.jpg

28/05/2013 at 15:05

Livingstone daisy, nowt wrong with them. They do have a habit of growing like that, especially when there's not a enough light. These need full on sun..even as seedlings.

I would say, top tray needs more compost and it's looks far too wet !

Prick out into big 15 cells/modules, wilkos sells them and put them in full sun - hold back that water your drowning them. 

Remember - Moist...not waterlogged !

28/05/2013 at 15:13

Totally agree,they look fine,they have a habit of looking distorted but will be fine,and reward you with a mass of lasting colour.

Plant out into modules asap,and go easy on the watering!

28/05/2013 at 15:15

ok thanks, makes sense, i have been a bit water mental.

They are outside in a green house on my top decking, so they will get as much sun as possible, but I do live in Scotland, so sun is not always readily available.

Would it be worth investing in light / heating, I want to do this right and will buy the right stuff for the job?

28/05/2013 at 15:21

Yes  I agree the soil does look too wet. They will also grow leggy if the light is one directional or there's not enough of it.

I tend to put a thin layer of gravel on top of mine. It helps keep them moist.

Damping off occurs when they're planted to close together. They need air to be able to circulate around them. 

I also blow on them or waft a thin piece of card across the top. This helps strengthen the stems. GQT's Rosie Yeomans is currently doing some work on this theory at the moment

28/05/2013 at 15:25

sorry to sound a bit thick, but what are modules?

I am guessing this?

plant module

If so, I have a load of the fibre 1.5 to 2 inch pots, would pricking out into these do the same thing?

28/05/2013 at 15:26

Depends on what you want to grow,whether you buy heating etc,I just use bubble wrap in one greenhouse to insulate in winter,in the other where we have more tender plants we do have a heater.

28/05/2013 at 15:30
28/05/2013 at 15:34

ok perfect,  I will buy some of those and get them filled up.

Should I put these outside, or keep then in the greenhouse?

28/05/2013 at 15:36

Keep them in the greenhouse for now.

28/05/2013 at 15:39

thanks for all the advice, really helps, I will no doubt be back soon with some more questions

28/05/2013 at 15:40

28/05/2013 at 18:07

The advice seems pretty complete to me so I just welcome ??ou to the forum Pychanski

28/05/2013 at 21:10

Would using a unheated propergator help with the heat ?, it would keep them warm on cold days  - what do others think ?

But also using bubble wrap to line your greenhouse as suggested would help too .

28/05/2013 at 21:22

I think propagators and bubble wrap are unnecessary now. Too hot now !

30/05/2013 at 18:05

All the seeds were started in unheated propagators, I moved out into the greenhouse once they looked established. I am now in the process of moving again into modules, will update with some pics tomorrow. I also have a load of other more exotic things starting to take, I have just planted some Cactus in a heated propegator and some random seeds I bought in Lanzarote last year. Loads of tulips bought last week at Amsterdam airport, got some Gazanias, Pansies, and all the usual veg, all seem to be coming on well.

I think I have suffered from first time planting overkill, I have a million seedlings now and nowhere to put them

30/05/2013 at 18:06
Verdun wrote (see)

The advice seems pretty complete to me so I just welcome ??ou to the forum Pychanski

Thanks, looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to and getting and giving as much advice as possible.

email image
17 messages