Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

new-vegetable-plot

Hi everyone, new to this site and looking forward to much needed help from the 'Pros'.

Quick descriptiion - The garden was used to grow veg and flowers by my Father and Grandfather since the 1920's and the crops were excellent. In the 90's it was too much for my father to handle so he laid a lawn on half of it and the other half was covered with a fabric weed block and pebbles.

I have now inherited the house and want to start the growing process again.

I have 2 questions at the moment - 

1. Will the soil still be good for growing veg after 20+ years of being covered up. I have cleared the pebbles and over the next few days I will be putting down 'Well Rotted Farm Yard Manure'. I have dug down about a foot and the soil is jet black all the way down and well compacted. 

2. There is a large ant colony not far from the site. Do I need to worry about this?

Thanks in advance.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

The soil should be fine as a starting point. It will obviously have been starved of sun and all the other elements. Dig it over well and you're on the right track with the well-rotted manure.

I would worry about the ant colony. Others mightn't.