London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
6 messages
06/06/2014 at 12:01

Hi,

To start with any help and advised is very much appreciated as I'm a new garden owner after years of living in a flat

I have a small sloping lawn approx 4m x 10m which is beset with mole hills and also is exremely stoney. Even above the surface there are hundreds of sizeable stones and bits of broken glass / pottery etc. As for the moles, I'm getting 2 or more new hills per week! My neighbours left and right both have paved gardens

I want to acheive 3 things. Get rid of the stones, have a decent lawn and banish the moles.

What should i do? I don't mind a bit of hard work, I thought maybe I should remove the old turf and a layer of soil (maybe sift it?) then returf but if the moles return i don't really see the point.

Thanks for any help

Sandy

06/06/2014 at 13:25

Go to a Farm Outlet type emporium and buy yourself a couple of Mole traps, the scissors type. Try to find a run by probing the ground and set the trap in the run. Wear gloves as they can smell your hands on the trap. In an area that size you will only have one mole by the way, they are solitary animals.

As for the soil, then yes collect up the stones and glass and if you can sieve out the majority of them from the soil.

Hard work, but it is possible, we sifted over 200 tons of soil to clean it up.

06/06/2014 at 13:30

I find as I start to crash and bang around in the garden that the moles vanish - they can't bear vibration.  Therefore Faz if you start to work on your plot removing stones etc they will find somewhere else a bit quieter to look for food etc. 

06/06/2014 at 13:34

Hi Flaz & welcome to the world of gardening.

If you have a real problem with moles you will have an uphill task trying to get rid of them - especially if your neighbours have paved gardens making yours the nicest space to visit! Lots of threads on this site about trying to get rid of them but they are something many of us have to learn to live with (speak from experience!). You could try contacting a pest control company - depends how you feel about such things - but even they have only limited success with moles & they often come back if the area is attractive to them.

A good lawn does look lovely but it sounds as though it could be hard work to prepare it & might be even more attractive to the moles when you've finished (better lawn = more worms = more mole food!) A small lawn can also be relatively time consuming to maintain.

Wondered if you have considered other alternatives which might look equally as good in a small space and be less attractive to moles. A gravel garden for instance could allow you to plant to soften it but still provide areas for seating/ sunbathing / BBQ etc and you wouldn't need to mow and edge it every week (and the moles would be less noticeable if they still visit).

Depends how you want to use the garden really and how big the overall area is (is it just the lawn or are there borders etc already established?)

Good luck & enjoy your new space whatever you choose to do with it

06/06/2014 at 15:52

Thanks for everyone's replies.

If I did decide to go for it and clear and returf, is now a good time of year to start this sort of thing?

Also, are there any must have tools that would make the tidyup easier?

Again, thanks

06/06/2014 at 17:11

Now is always a good time 

Spade, garden fork, riddle to begin with.

email image
6 messages