Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

NNE facing and clay soil- help!

Yes, clay soil and NNE facing... Many plants do well: helebores, ferns, geranium, phlox, globe thistle, euphorbia; some do okay: astrantia, roses, geums. I need some suggestions. Have you grown plants successfully in similar conditions?

If it helps the following trees and shrubs grow well: sambucus, laurel, holly, laburnum, syringa, witch hazel...

• I have ,my soil is as heavy as clay soil can get,my veggie garden took  a lot work and compost to get it where it is today  and as well as being clay it is sloping garden on a hill side with more sun in the front of the house than back,I have holly,hazel,Laurel ,fir,sumac,flowering red currant,forsythia oak,,Gunnera,,pyracantha,dogwood,clematis,hellebore,hawthorn,

it takes some effort but I grow a lot more than i have listed,its not easy soil. 

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Sedum , anenome, lupin, bamboo, sambuca Niger , potentilla, verbena, rose, wild rose, clematis, honeysuckle, and forgotten the name trumpet type flower figillea ???? All done well in mine
  • catnipcatnip Posts: 73

Thanks for all of your advice! Have you any white, purple, blue, orange flowering plants?

I have all colours as like the cottage garden feel, others that have done well here is osteopernum , Veronica I have purple and pale pink, oriental poppies , foxgloves. I have been pleasantly surprised what has done well, shrubs have taken a battering though , I did lose red robin .

I like the cottage garden feel too and have some of the plants you mention. Shrubs do well, despite the winds we get (on top of a moor). We're an optimistic lot, we gardeners, aren't we?

Thanks again!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think we are optimistic catnip and most of the time plants do grow. Then we get over ambitious and 'almost hardy in sheltered areas' gets stretched a little bit too far. And you know a plant likes well drained soil but yours isn't too heavy really etc.................

My list of casualties is long but I haven't finished experimenting.

In the sticks near Peterborough

That's the spirit! I do try to place plants in the optimum position but sometimes there are difficult positions to fill, Answer: pop in a plant I likeimage

We definitely Re optimistic ....my gardening method is 'try it and see' a lot of my original plants came from my parents splitting plants from their gardening for me, even though their soil is very different they have thrived well here in some cases better . If I relied on should and shouldn't do from books I would never have tried.

Onwards with the trials and tribulations !
    That should be are optimistic ...silly iPad !