London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
6 messages
02/05/2014 at 11:40

Hi!

When we moved in to our home in January 2012 it was evident that the apple tree in the back garden had had a good crop as there were lots of fruit all over the ground & lodged in the surrounding box hedges! Unfortunately the tree hasn't produced any blossom since! What could be the issue here? I don't know the variety of apple tree but the fruit were very similar to Mackintosh Reds in appearance - very deep red with nobbles & slightly elongated in shape. (The neighbours James Grieve is blossoming its heart out)

Any ideas as to what the issue may be? cheers!

02/05/2014 at 14:11

it needs a bit of tender loving caring as in pruning.

02/05/2014 at 14:39

Hi flowering rose - we did give it a bit of a prune later on in 2012 & it's put on a lot of new growth but I'm not even getting blossom on the older wood that was left? has a lot of leaf growth though.

02/05/2014 at 14:47

My apple tree outdid itself with fruit last year and hasn't flowered this year. It is quite common if a tree over does it one year to produce little or no fruit the following year. Maybe the combination of over fruiting and then a good prune has delayed yours for 2 years. If it is producing new growth and seems healthy enough, I would give it a feed and look forward to a good crop next year.

03/05/2014 at 09:36

My apple trees blossom and fruit every two years, even when pruned. They are old trees.

06/05/2014 at 14:58

thank you Daintiness & Busy-Lizzie - I'll persevere with the tree & feed it as you suggest & see what happens next year! cheers! 

email image
6 messages