London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
5 messages
21/10/2013 at 13:04

Hi.  For 5 years I have had a wonderful show from my gladioli, but this year nothing - not a hint of flower on any of my plants.  I was very late planting them out this year due to the bad weather we had - about a month later than normal.  But I am concerned that not one of the plants is showing signs of flowering, neither are they dying back!  I always dig them up each winter and store them in my garage.  This year I don't know what to do with them for the best to try and ensure flowers next year.  Shall I leave them in the ground and hope the frost doesn't kill them so they maybe get more nutrients over the winter or just cut them back and store and hope for the best next year?

21/10/2013 at 14:03

Maybe they didn't build up a big enough corm with the bad weather last year?

I'd leave them in the ground for as long as youcan,until either they die down naturally or the frost kills the tops off, then lift and store.

21/10/2013 at 14:16
Trubill - Snap. Not a sausage from the ones i planted this year ( although plenty of leaves). Got one flower from one i left in the ground by mistake last year (different colour, different place so easy to tell it was last years. I am going to leave mine in the ground this year and keep my fingers crossed
21/10/2013 at 16:56

Thank you both, glad to know it is not just me!  It does sound like it was the harsh winter that has ruined them this year. I'll leave them a couple of weeks to see if they die back naturally and think I will split my chances and leave some in the ground (with a good mulch?)  and  dig up the others and hope for the best!  Good luck chicky!

22/10/2013 at 11:13

Yeah me too. no flowers from my wild ones. They flowered last year though. I forgot all about them this year to be honest. Anyway, as they're wild I'd have expected me not have to do anything with them all, so I’m blaming the weather. I wouldn't worry too much for now.

email image
5 messages