Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Nothing to do with gardening

I always grow hyacinths for Christmas. I love the smell but OH hates them (but I still grow them!). I also have an indoor jasmine which usually flowers at Christmas.

Christmas trees smell good anyway, of course.

• I bring in evergreens, pine and spruce - they exude woodland smells as the house warms up.  I also make pomanders with oranges and cloves (like these http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-spiced-orange-pomander-balls/ ) and keep some in a pretty bowl by the fireplace.  

And I cook - there's always something baking, roasting or simmering when someone comes to the door - gingerbread, ginger biscuits, spiced baked gammon, baking potatoes with honey and sesame chipolatas or buffalo wings - and after Christmas there's soup on the hob, made with the carcass of whichever poultry or other beast has helped us with our festivities.

And then of course, there's mince pies and mulled wine ................... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Singing Gardener says:

I always grow hyacinths for Christmas. ...

I always did, but since I acquired this OH ,the only hyacinths we have are outside because the perfume brings on his asthma, ditto the Paperwhite narcissi ... annoying, but it is his only fault image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Dove, can I come to your house for Christmas, please? I agree, it's Christmas trees and cooking/baking that make the best smells. I sometimes receive those little jars of scented oils as gifts - the ones with little sticks in - and I like them very much but they cannot compete with a batch of mince pies. Mind you, they don't make you fat, either....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

A big home-made Plum Pudding scented candle.
    Does make me feel hungry tho..

I did try satsumas (past their best) studded with cloves on top of a radiator - worked well for a couple of days

Last edited: 23 November 2016 15:17:36

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Posy says:

Dove, can I come to your house for Christmas, please? I agree, it's Christmas trees and cooking/baking that make the best smells. I sometimes receive those little jars of scented oils as gifts - the ones with little sticks in - and I like them very much but they cannot compete with a batch of mince pies. Mind you, they don't make you fat, either....

See original post

Of course Posy - all are welcome - and mince pies don't have any calories if you eat them standing up - we're very short of chairs in this house image

We live on a budget here - that's why everything is home-made and cooked from scratch.   No Christmas scented whatnots that the garden centres B&Q etc seem full of at this time of year in this house  -  also none of the outside lights draped over the house and garden running our bills up.  We keep things simple and home made - almost all the food comes from the farm shop and other stuff is home made, that's why the house smells so good  image

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I once made the mistake of getting some pine-scented oil, sprinkling it on fir cones and placing them on a radiator, theoretically to mimic the smell of a Christmas tree.  I threw them away when son's friends (from primary school) came back to play and said, "It smells like toilet cleaner"  image  Out of the mouths of babes . . . .

But then for many years I used Body Shop's oil "Brandied Apple".  It became synonymous with Christmas for us - until they stopped making it.  (The shop assistant said, when asked, that HO had stopped it because there was no demand, but that I was one of several who had requested it.  Never let it be said that the customer is always right!)

I have just recently discovered wax melts, and I bought at a GC one called "Christmas Tree" and it really, really does smell just like - well, a Christmas tree, subtly perfuming the whole house;  I shall definitely get some more.

Last edited: 23 November 2016 15:35:42

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,477

Cloves stuck in oranges

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,477

Aym- neither!

In London. Keen but lazy.