London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
5 messages
25/02/2014 at 14:54

Final question for today!!

I have 2 growbags that I intended using last year and didn't.  I'm not using them for my tomatoes as I have heard you should use fresh, but was wondering if the compost will be ok for potting up bare root perennials, or should I just put it on my borders and buy new for planting the bare roots in?  I don't want to kill them if the compost could have become infected or anything but don't want to spend money if I don't have to either.

Thanks.

25/02/2014 at 14:59

If they have been stored somewhere dry they should be OK.  If they have spent the winter wet it's possible that any nutrients in them will have washed out so not much good for growing plants on but great as a mulch for the garden

25/02/2014 at 15:04

I've mixed a bag of old with a bag of new to make something that will do for short term potting up prior to planting out of the hardy stuff that I grow

25/02/2014 at 16:08

The nutrients just become a bit depleted Tracey that's all. As nut and Muddyfork have already said - you can use it in different ways without any problem. Like nut, I've mixed old with new, and I've also used old stuff for the bottom half of large pots and used the new stuff for the top half. It's ideal for loosening up beds or borders that have heavy or compacted soil.

25/02/2014 at 17:47
Thanks everyone, I will take it into my borders and get new for my new seedlings and bare root plants
email image
5 messages