London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
4 messages
14/05/2013 at 17:14

Hi,

I have had this lilac bush in my backyard for over 25 years.  Last year during a very windy storm one piece of the main trunk broke off.  Now this spring there is new green growth coming out of the broken piece.  Will this new growth turn into new branchs in the year to come.  Not sure if lilacs have a life span and this one is just on the way out.

My question is....do I leave all the new green growth..will it eventually fill out this lilac plant again.  At the moment the lilac looks very lop sided...hoping it will look better in a few years.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23557.jpg?width=466&height=350&mode=max

14/05/2013 at 19:43

If it still pleases you keep it. I don't think the new growth from the break will match the other branches, they tend to make straight growths with none of the nice shape I see there. But you could try reducing the new to one stem and see if you can persuade it to be a proper branch

14/05/2013 at 20:44

I agree with nutcutlet - however given time mine have regenerated.  40 yr old plus lilacs can turn into beautiful trees - it's worth presevering with !

14/05/2013 at 22:52

Hi,

Thanks for the response....I guess I will give it go and try to reduce to one stem.

email image
4 messages