Start a new thread

21 to 33 of 33 replies

Found my orignal posting, so as an update the olive tree is amazing this year, I took the advise from Matty2, BusyBee 2, Dove from above, and Foodie 40.  I left it in the south-facing very open porch and kept it nearly dry all winter.  I was going to bubblewrap the pot but we only had frost about 4 times.  It has rewarded me with lots of leaves and flowers, and didn't shed any leaves during winter.

I have just made a video of the repotting to go on youtube for our gardening club.  I repotted as per advise - repotted it into gritty compost with some JI, and will not put it indoors again.  Sited it against a heat retaining red-brick house wall hoping the flowers will turn to olives!

photo attached, not sure my position agiant the hous

e wall shows off it's best attributes....

The close-up of the flowers which will hoepfully turn into olives- fingers crossed... anyone in the UK with Olives on their Olive tree?, or France.....any photos?

star gaze lily

Hi dizzylizzy, mine looks like this. Not sure if its olives tho 

Hi all

like you I love olive trees I have had several over the years lost all in 2010 due to vey low long term temperatures. 

I have an indoor one currently in wheel house all glass but solid roof facing east does not det much direct sun but gets strong sunlight for 7 hours a day in summer, it's currently showing many yellow leaves but tops look healthy is this normal or is it suffering from not enough direct sun?

I bought a small olive tree from a local store last spring. I put it into more of a bucket than the vertical planter they gave me. Perhaps the container, little larger that a very tall glass, was shaped to control the shape and size of the tree. I transferred it to a much wider pot now, bucket shaped with side handles so that it can be brought indoors in the winter. It is maybe about a meter tall in all, now.

They said to bring it in doors. I should check to see how much cold an olive tree can take. Most of the leaved trees outside drop all their leaves but survive the -21C, -20F winters. Sometimes they say that a plant must be actually planted in the ground to survive that, that it needs roots below the freeze depth of the soil, and a potted plant can't do that.

Just like you were all saying though, cool and too much water. I have zero drainage in it and a light coating of sand on the top to pass the water down and in but keep it in, too. The difficulty I think is having it next to plants that DO like the more water even when it gets cool. Next to bamboo which loves water, too much maybe. I have mine in the sun of a tiny dinning room, south facing, in southern Michigan, USA. The houses are pretty close together, maybe four meters apart, so the low winter sun only gets inside in the afternoon. In the summer I often put an awning up to cut down the sun heat indoors.

So Thanks for the info!

I need some help please - I have two olive trees bought as standards last year. About 4 ft high. They have spent winter indoors with me as I was concerned about frost and they lost most leaves at the bottom of the lollipop crown but have began to grow some very healthy new branches on the top.

I put them outside this week as I thought it was warm enough and the branches have gone limp and leaves are beginning to dry up. They're in an area that gets lots of sun but it is still quite rainy at the moment. Are they shocked or is something wrong?

Hi stargaze lily! We used to live in Spain right in the middle of an olive growing area and yes, the flowers on your pic are the precursor to olives.

i think all plants do better in the ground if at all possible. Where we used to live (away from the warmer coastal area) we had cold winters with frosty mornings and the olives in the orchards survived quite happily. After the flowers fell the local growers used to greatly increase watering to help the fruit production and size.

Olives will survive and flower in the UK and make really nice trees.  Unfortunately, the climate here is not suitable for olive production.....we just don't have long enough periods of good weather.  I've had good harvests in both France and Spain but now I have to be content to buy them from the supermarket

Enjoy the trees but don't count on harvesting fruit in any worthwhile context

Son in London used to have one in a pot on his balcony. It was shamefully neglected, bone dry, watered only when he remembered. It eventually caved in and produced 7 olives for him. He's not going into oil producing just yet.....'s a start anyway..........give your son a few more balconies and who knows