London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16 messages
30/05/2014 at 17:02

I have an area in my new garden about 3mx3m and I have just been told that the plant covering this area is alstromeria. It is very dense and must have been there for some time. Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of it.

30/05/2014 at 18:10

You could dig up clumps of it, pot them and sell them at your gate These are moderately expensive plants in the G/C, and well worth selling I would think. I grow mine in a large pot, so don't know how large the roots are in the open ground.

30/05/2014 at 18:13

Think I paid £9 for one in a two litre pot.last year. 

30/05/2014 at 18:27

Hi could you possibly put  a pic on of your alstromeria, just curious as i was wondering if it is crocosmia montbretia which i know spreads rapidly, and i had to dig mine out and gave it away ?

30/05/2014 at 19:04

If you really have a 3m square patch of alstromeria you are sitting on a gold mine as "the fosters" says.  They don't root very deep and could easily be lifted and potted up.

30/05/2014 at 20:44

The orange alstromeria is a proper thug. Almost impossible to dig up all of it. It just keeps on growing! Good luck.

30/05/2014 at 21:33

I bought one of those last year but I don't think it's come back 

30/05/2014 at 23:03

I've spent much of the afternoon trying to eradicate the orange one!! Have a beautiful more elegant one in a pot in the greenhouse, gorgeous, but these orange thugs - grrrrrrr

30/05/2014 at 23:32

Hi, I thought alstromeria was hard to grow, I bought a small plant of it I think just last year and it has grown quite a bit, its orangey/reddish and has just started to flower, if its a bit of a thug I may get rid of it, i'm always digging up overgrown plants, i'll try and post a pic of it soon, wud like to know if its a thug! 

01/06/2014 at 07:38

Thanks for all the replies, but even if I am sitting on a goldmine it is still a thug!!! I decided yesterday to start digging over the area and even at a spades depth I was still cutting through the white fleshy roots. I am going to lift all my other plants in this area and cover the ground with black polythene and leave it until next year.

No flowers yet this year so can't send a pic.

01/06/2014 at 08:44

I have a love hate relationship with alstromerias.  

I planted a few "special" hybrids with royal names.  They grew, flowered amazingly for ar least 4 months non stop.  Real eye catchers.  However, they suddenly go dormant in mid to late summer, depending on when they started to flower (from early May in my case).  This then leaves a large bare spot in the garden for several weeks.  They all invade though.

I dug up all my alstromerias but replanted my favourite, Queen Elizabeth (I think) in a location that can be seen when in full flower (5' tall or more) yet disguised when flowering is over.  Stipa gigamtea, heleniums, acteas, the Bishop of Llandaff dahlia and a yellow dogwood grow around it.   The gap is then not seen.  

The orange alstromeria is a thug as Bookertoo and hogweed have said.  Don't grow this one folks.  

My Queen Alstromeria is now opening a few flowers but I will restrict its expansion.  

01/06/2014 at 08:49

We had it at my last house and it just kept winding it's way underground and popping up everywhere. I quite liked it but we had loads of room to allow it so it didn't matter. The heavy clay kept it well enough under control.  It was one of the few things the bunnies didn't snaffle. 

27/08/2014 at 16:18

Just an update on my problem Alstromeria. In June after digging up all the plants and as much root as I could find I covered the whole area in black polythene weighted down with spare roofing slates. A few plants grew up at the edges of the polythene which were quickly killed off with weedkiller. This week I had to move a shrub into this area and under the polythene I only  found a few sad looking pieces of the plant which I dug up with the remaining roots. I intend to leave this area undisturbed now until next spring so fingers crossed 

27/08/2014 at 17:10

Let's hope your fingers don't get cramp!! I've still got some small bits of it around, I refuse to allow it to flower - this is NOT the one which would lead to money, the pretty coloured ones are, and although they run a little,  they are nothing like the original orange - which is nearly as good/bad as evening primrose - not quite as bad as mile-a-minute vine, but heading in that direction! 

27/08/2014 at 17:22

Im so glad when people highlight the thugs, (I think we have a thread for it somewhere) it's easy to make mistakes and buy something you think is going to be fine, the gardening books don't always tell the truth

27/08/2014 at 18:21

Not wrong there Y, when did you last see a book that tells you that most raspberries become rampant thugs?  But they certainly do …….

email image
16 messages