Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Angela Lane

We have an old tree stump in our garden which was here when moved in a few yrs ago and previous owners attached planks to the top of it to make a kind of seat out of it. I have removed the planks and I want to remove the stump now. Anyway, today I have spotted bright orange bubble like mould on the top of the stump. is this harmful mould or fungus? Although we want to remove the stump, it's quite substantial and I'm not sure when we will be able to take it out. The previous owners did put large nails in to the stump to attach the planks of wood to it so perhaps it's rust coming from the nails, but the mould is not near the nails! .....mysterious.  Can anyone help?

nutcutlet

Sounds like coral spot. It goes with dead wood

Busy-Lizzie

I think it is orange slime mould which feeds on dead vegetation especially tree stumps. Coral spot is spotty (small spots) not slimy and slime mould looks more like bubbles.

Whichever, it's not likely to be harmful, it's just part of the natural rotting down process of the dead tree stump. It won't spread to live plants.

Advertisement

Angela Lane

Thanks everyone, for your help. I can relax now

Help please I have just picked off leaves covered in bright orange fungus type spots which were on my climbing rose. Its not on everything just one area so disposed of the offending leaves in general rubbish bin no sign of dead wood .Never seen it before and I did spray recently for black spot with an organic type fungus and bug spray. Hope someone knows what it is  or is it as mentioned coral spot and how do I treat it

Help ...my evergreen Jasmin is loosing its leaves and has no new shoots is this normal at this time of year?

Dovefromabove

Hi Judie 

Can you start a new thread about your leafless Jasmine - that way people will see it.  this thread's title is about mould on a tree stump and the Jasmine growers won't know about your query. 

Wish I had taken a photo of it but was so horrified to see it I just took the leaves off and disposed of them if any more returns I  will take pic and send in . Never seen anything like this before in my garden appeared over the weekend when I was away. It was very bright orange definitely like blisters in the middle of my  rose only .I don't think its rust as from pics I've looked at rust is small spots , but I am not an expert .so will spray again and hope it stops it in its tracks

Sign up or log in to post a reply