London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
25/06/2012 at 12:47

Hello, I moved to a new house last November which happens to be built on cleared woodland land.  I noticed in early spring a lot of hair spiky leaved weeds around the lawn edge an in the borders, then some flower shoots appeared with ornage flowers which are quite pretty I might add.  Having looked on the web I discovered it is Orange Hawkweed (Hieracium auantiacum) I can't find out much information from UK sources on how to deal with the invasion and what steps I can take to eradicate the weed.  Does anyone know anything about this weed and how can I get rid of it before it takes over the whole garden??  Any advice would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance

Lesley

25/06/2012 at 13:05

I've got some of this  sprouting up in my garden. For me it's not a problem as it's a wildflower and I really like it.  So do some insects. I guess you could dig up what you have or use weed killer on it.

fox and cubs is another name it goes by

25/06/2012 at 17:49

Grim the Collier is another name and it is a thug. Fortunately in grass, a Lawn weedkiller will deal with it. In a border then it has to be a contact weed killer sadly. It has creeping persistent roots so unless you dig out every scrap it will come back. And never never never ever let it flower. Every seed is viable and will grow,

14/08/2012 at 11:53

I had a couple of these plants last year and this year they covered an area of about 6ft by 4ft - they totally take over!  To get rid of it firstly cut all the flower stems and ensure that none of the seeds drop onto the ground, then use Roundup ensuring you spray ever leaf (if you don't it will keep growing), it will start to die off.  The top will begin to die off but don't be fooled as it needs time to get into the root system.  Respray again in about a week, again ensuring you spray all the leaves.  Then leave for another two weeks by which time the top will have completed died off and Roundup will have worked on the roots and it can then be dug up. 

14/08/2012 at 12:22

I know it as 'Fox and Cubs' and I have a patch of it that I encourage!  It's nice in long grass, on a bank or wall.

Funny how we look at plants differently.

14/08/2012 at 14:35

Yes it is.  I found it was so invasive that it killed all the other small plants near it because it just took their space and light.  I could not believe how quickly it spread.

14/08/2012 at 16:24

I have some coming up between brick steps in my garden and I was thrilled by the beautiful flowers.  Until I read Angel's comments I was prepared to let it stay as often one removes an attractive weed only for it's place to be taken my an ugly monster!!  I shall have to think aboput this!

11/10/2012 at 11:38

it is a non native plant,  colonates to a point of monoculture. It seem to be spreading through north wales. Kill it on sight, easiest to just pull it out

13/05/2013 at 15:59

This plant has totally destroyed my own and neighbouring gardens. It gradually destroys plants and grass and is a notifiable weed in Australia and some parts of America. I too thought it pretty at first, now I wish I had a flame thrower though doubt if that would even do it, I spend a fortune on weedkillers every year just to try to keep some free areas. It is hard to pull out when growing in grass, even one tiny root hair is enough for it to survive and spread. Even if I got it under control in my garden you can hardly demand your neighbours do the same! By the time they realise what you are talking about it is too late for them too!

13/05/2013 at 17:43

I did like this plant last year...........not so much now, it definately has spread a lot. Think I will have to use the weedkiller on it

13/05/2013 at 18:07

Wildflower.  Scarce but locally common.

13/05/2013 at 18:09

I removed this from the 'proper' garden to the meadow. Needless to say it's now in both places.

06/07/2013 at 18:45

I have this growing everywhere and it is smothering all other plants - having read all other comments, I will continue to dig up as much as possible and cut off any remaining flowers - Ive warned my neighbours to kill on first sight!....and I will be blasting it with Roundup too and hope I dont kill all my fruit trees in the process!

06/07/2013 at 20:29

oo er .... we've let it gropw because it is so pretty....   might need a re-think on this!

09/08/2014 at 09:29

oh heck

09/08/2014 at 11:02

I have shared my garden with this plant for thirty years. It pops up here, it pops up there, if it pops up where I dont want it I pull it up. In damp years it nearly dissappears altogether, then reappears during a sunny spring. One has rather a dull relationship with most plants - this one is a bit of a flirt. My sympathies to those whose relationship is getting a bit one-sided.

18/08/2014 at 07:40

I have had this in my lawn for years and it has only popped up in the same place each year. It has made no attempt to take over and I quite like it to be honest! I wonder why it has stayed so isolated in my garden?

18/08/2014 at 08:05

Do you have wet ground Sally? Many invasive plants are better behaved on heavier soil. If it's in the grass though,  mowing will be keeping it under control i think  

18/08/2014 at 08:52

A year or two ago the Guardian newspaper had an article about wildflower gardens and was advertising this as plug plants.

18/08/2014 at 09:31

Yes my soil is quite heavy clay so maybe that is why. I am a complete novice! I have recently revived my garden after removing a load of unwanted paraphernalia from it! It had 13 Lelandi and an asbestos shed! Now with a new fence and a blank canvas I am starting from scratch!

1 to 20 of 22 messages