London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
11 messages
04/03/2013 at 06:53

Not come across it myself but a bit of research on the www revealsthat it originates in the US and is concentrated sewage sludge.  

The 'OR' bit of it's name comes from the word 'ordure'  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ordure , which is a bit misleading as it may lead people to think that it relates to 'organic'.  

Whilst properly treated sewage sludge has been successfully used agriculturally for decades and more, I'm sure there are people who would prefer not to use it on their veg gardens and who would be quite annoyed if they were misled into buying it by the description you quote.

As you say, it is quite expensive - I would prefer to spend the equivalent on proper well-rotted farmyard manure which, when used on the soil will also improve the structure of the soil because of its bulk, which is one of the main benefits of adding compost/manure.  

I won't be buying it.

I wonder if we're actually importing American sh*t, you'd think we had enough of our own. 

04/03/2013 at 07:17

I've done a bit more research - this item from Loughborough University makes interesting reading http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resources/technical-briefs/63-using-human-waste.pdf, and apparently the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation are funding research into processing human waste in developing countries http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110720/New-technology-for-processing-human-waste-in-developing-countries.aspx  .

I suppose my thought at the moment is, how well would I trust the manufacturers of Orgro to ensure that their processing removes any risks of pathogens remaining in their product?

By the way, I just ran the name Orgro past my other half and asked him what his first thought was?  His very words were, "That it is organic." 

04/03/2013 at 08:19

MMMMMM smells a bit off to me, I dont know much about this product to be honest but I'm not sure I would feel confident using it either after reading up on it.

http://list.web.net/archives/sludgewatch-l/2010-July/005130.html

04/03/2013 at 08:26

Yes Dave, I read that too - don't like the sound of heavy metals and pharmaceuticals on my veg patch 

04/03/2013 at 09:38

it's a shame, the amount of 'waste' my 18month yr old produces would of been handy!

04/03/2013 at 22:05

Hi BrummieBen, up until the early part of the 20th century the estate houses used what was called night soil, Cyprus is not allowed to pump its sewage waste into the med; so it covers its potato growing fields with it and the following year exports lovely clean Cypriot potatoes in netted bags and no soil deposits . I could be wrong but then again ??????????????????????

Derek

19/04/2013 at 00:17

A few years ago I used to sell Orgro in a local garden centre (Norwich) It was branded as Orgro, Norfolk's miracle plant food,. It smelled pretty high and although I never used it myself we had several allotent growers who swore by it.

I think however that £13.00 a bag is far too expensive ( bought from the store it was less than a fiver) If I wanted a plant food I would but pelleted chicken manure and if I wanted a bulky organic manure I would visit my local stables andget an awful lot more muck for my money.

I think that most of the above conversation has related to an American product with a similar name.

19/04/2013 at 05:20

Hi Tootsietim - I've lived in Norwich for quite a while now and never seen it - which GC did you work at?  (if you don't mind me asking )  

19/04/2013 at 08:10

Not sure I'd want it on my veg but so many of these things are misleading. As Dove said when she asked OH the answer was 'organic'. Manufacturers are very quick to jump on bandwagons and lead people to think what they're buying is a certain type of product. The power of the Ad men I think.

23/04/2013 at 09:52

Hi Dovefromabove,  Orgro used to be available from Godfrey diy on Riverside Rd, but they have since closed.

I did see orgro for sale at Woodgate Nursery near Aylsham (£4.50 per bag)

It doesn't give much away on the bag but claims to be a 100% organic manure and comes from a farm in Wood Dalling, Norfolk.

23/04/2013 at 10:02

Quick update,

Red pit farm Wood dalling is registered as a poultry farm and manufacurer/supplier of fertilizers composts. It would appear therefore to be a poultry manure composted with straw.

email image
11 messages