London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
12 messages
03/05/2014 at 14:19

I have a beautiful Oriental Poppy which appeared all by itself in my garden a few years ago, it is now getting far too big for it's current position and I was wondering how I go about moving it. It is starting to bud at the moment so I am guessing now is not a good time. Are these moved as one 'clump' or do I have to split it up?

03/05/2014 at 15:20

Lovely plant - showy flower - but takes up a lot of room and in flower for a very short time and then dies down so needs something longer lasting in front of it.  They have a very long tap root and are not over keen on being moved.  I would wait until it has finished flowering and the leaves are dying down then lift the whole plant/clump and drop into a deepish hole where you want it to be and water well for a week or two while it tries to get that root down to the water table.  If you wait too long, you won't be able to see where it is once the leaves have died down!

I love them dearly, but recognise they are not a good value plant in my garden.  Most years we get violent winds just as they are coming into flower, and the petals are then scattered to the four winds.

03/05/2014 at 15:31

Quick question on them whilst this thread is here..

I have two new varieties this year and both examples are looking very yellow and brown.. Soil is pretty rich with a thick mulch.

The variety is " Beauty of Livermere "

03/05/2014 at 15:48

The soil may be a bit rich for them, they like moist but well drained conditions in sun so mulching the crown isn't a good idea ighten. A move may well be the best answer, more drainage, a little less fertility as well.

03/05/2014 at 16:01

Thx Dave.. May have to replan that bed

03/05/2014 at 18:46
Oriental poppies are very good at growing from bits of root that have been left behind which is a great way of multiplying your stock but isn't so good if you are trying to get rid of the plant.
03/05/2014 at 23:43
Ceres wrote (see)
Oriental poppies are very good at growing from bits of root that have been left behind which is a great way of multiplying your stock but isn't so good if you are trying to get rid of the plant.

You're not wrong there!!!!!  Spent ages today trying to dig up bits which were shooting from where I removed one last year. Unfortunately I couldn't get in deeply enough & the shoots just broke off, so fully expect them to regrow.

04/05/2014 at 09:47

I would echo what has been said about perfect conditions, our poppies have received very little attention over the years and sit on pretty free draining soil in dry beds. 

04/05/2014 at 11:39
I've been trying to remove oriental poppies from my veg patch for years and I now have them all over the garden......and still in the veg patch. They look gorgeous for a short time and I've decided to enjoy the show and leave them where they are. They are very haute couture.
04/05/2014 at 20:30

I've got two very sick looking Patty's Plum poppies, about 4 years old, which were fantastic last year but this year, the leaves are going black and the crowns black and soggy. They came up very early (Bath, Somerset) so I thought maybe a frost had got them, but nothing else near them has been affected. 

Does vine weevil like them I wonder?  Any ideas gratefully received - I'm desolated, they were the star turn in my main border!

05/05/2014 at 09:17

sounds as though the wet weather got them and they have rotted from the top - they may regrow as we get drier conditions. I'd remove any black and soggy bits and cross my fingers.   I've planted saved seed from my Patty's Plum and got excellent germination - just waiting to see if they come true or what I get if they don't.

05/05/2014 at 18:37

Thanks gardenning granny, I'll do as you suggest and wait and see!

email image
12 messages