7 messages
15/09/2013 at 10:41

Hi, I have several Acers in pots and I move them into the GH for the winter. I am finding it difficult to do so now and wondered If  I could leave them out this year,and wrapping the pots in fleece or bubble wrap. I could also cover the plants with fleese if it is below 5C. I live in the SE.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you

15/09/2013 at 12:29

If you group them together in the shelter of the house wall (or similar) they should be fine jatnik. The big danger is roots freezing so fleece round the pots if there's severe prolonged cold forecast will help prevent that. 

15/09/2013 at 15:49

Leave them be, they need nothing special.  We have several, some well over 20 years old, never moved them, covered them or anything else - they do just fine - it's only high winds they don't like, and that they dislike come warmth or cold.  I feed them with pellleted organic chicken manure come early spring as the buds begin to break, and that's about all the attention they get - and they look great. 

15/09/2013 at 17:09

I found a seedling in the garden at our house when we moved in so put it in a large terracotta pot.  It has lived outside very happily in the pot for the last six years.  I have probably fed it once a year at most.  This is in Scotland, so I wouldn't worry about yours!

16/09/2013 at 09:18

OMG what a terrific response from you all, thank you Lizzie, Bookeroo and Fairygirl. Boy , what a relief !

I intend putting the garden to bed this week, such as drain the bubble fountain (it is in a large terracotta pot) and bringing the chilli plants into the leanto from the cold GH. I shall lag the Acer pots with lagging etc and hope for the best. Thank you again.

16/09/2013 at 09:26

Seems early to put the garden to bed Jatnikapyar,lots of Autumnal colour still to come.Forecast for Indian Summer at the beginning of October 

16/09/2013 at 18:18

I know it is early GillyL, but it has been cold , windy and damp down here and the body is saying......wamth, fire, nice drink,a good book plants looking a bit sad !! I usually don't start till middle of October, but I have slowed down a bit and every thing takes twice as long! I thought that if I start now and clear the GH off summer plants, I can take the tender plants etc.in. I particularly don't want to lose the fountain pot as I lost a very special one in 2010 when the temp. suddenly dropped to minus 15c and was not here to rescue it.

Anyway, just planning.....I do enjoy the autumn colour too

email image
7 messages