London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
5 messages
09/06/2013 at 21:11

Hi everyone. I've been fortunate enough to of acquired some land next to my existing garden. However it was extremely overgrown and been used for flytipping . I have cleared the rubbish and strimmered the waist high weeds right down to a few inches. The remaining stem can be described as purple tubes and the roots are around half a foot long and resemble carrots . I wish to fully clear the land and grow a lawn to extend my garden with grass seed. How would I go about this?  Rotivator and rake to get weed roots out? Or do it thoroughly with a fork and get the roots out whole?  Any advice is appreciated as I really want it cleared and prepped ready for grass seeding as soon as i can but working all day and evenings and weekends is making it difficult. ...

09/06/2013 at 21:18

Don't rotovate. It only chops up perennial weeds and roots and multiplies them by the thousands.

09/06/2013 at 21:33

I'd let it regrow and when it's nicely greened up give it a coat of glyphosate. after a couple of weeks (or whatever it sayson the packet) mow it all off. How much work you need to do on the soil depends onthe type of soil and whether  you want a fine lawn or a playground for the kids.

when our kids were small we made a lawn in the very broadest sense of the word by mowing the weeds until the grass took over. This assumes some of the weeds are grass. Grass thrives on being mowed, but weeds don't. A lot of them will still be there but mowing creates a green space quickly if that's what you want

09/06/2013 at 22:11

I feared someone would say dont rotivate, that would make it too easy eh! Rightio, I have sprayed it all with strong weed killer however in my haste I strimmered it all before, leaving no leafs to spray which all the weed killers seem to say to spray the leaves. However I sprayed it all anyway hoping the freshly chopped stems would soak up some of the poison. Nonetheless I'll give it another couple weeks see if anything grows back and respray. Bloody weeds. Thanks guys

09/06/2013 at 22:33

you can rotavate whenthe weeds are dead Adam. 

email image
5 messages