Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

overwintering-clematis-cuttings

In the past, I have took clematis cuttings which generally strike. But!...come the cold weather, I do not have a heated greenhouse, and so I have lost the cuttings to the frost.

This year, I have invested in a heated propagator which I hope to tuck my cuttings up for the cold months.......but I have a problem looming.

The cuttings that I have taken have all struck and are shooting away, they are already over a foot tall and the way they are going they are likely to be too tall for my one foot tall propagator.

The species I am growing ,will all lose their leaves, so do I cut the top growth off, or what do you think??

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

what sort of clematis are they peter? If they're well rooted most clematis will be OK over winter. a little protection in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse perhaps. Before I had the GH (unheated) I used to stand plants right up against the house wall and that offered a lot of protection.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Perhaps even against a sheltered wall with some fleece round them if it's a really prolonged cold spell?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • thanks guys, good advice,and I may try  this, because I have a lot of cuttings,and they are of varios  clematis's all group 3, so will lose their leaves in winter.

All will not fit into my propagator.image