Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pansies and violas

Hi

Not having a very large garden i have approx 10 - 12 quite large tubs and planters all filled with pansies and violas . I want to fill them with summer bedding plants . seems such a waste if i just bin then they are looking really good . i have nowhere to plant them for next year . would potting them in pots work and would you need to split or prune them they are quite large .

Will be very thankful for any tips  image

Mike.

• Hi Mike

Yes pansies and violas can go on flowering for quite a long time. You can dig them up and put them in smaller pots. I did that with a few of mine. They are tough as old boots and take a lot for re-potting. Yes you can prune them quite hard back, the Chelsea Chop. If you have good growth at the bottom of the plant they will grow and flower again. It's worth keeping them because when your bedding plants die off, hopefully your pansies and violas will give you Autumn and Winter colour. You can get a good couple of seasons out of them.