London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
3 messages
12/05/2013 at 10:14

Hi, can anyone advise...

I planted a blue river of 3000 Blue Magic muscari under the lawn on a small West facing slope between a 2m thuja hedge on the Eastern side and a couple of mature cedars facing West onto the lawn.  I planted the muscari in a river formation about half a metre wide and 15m long winding up and down the slope and under the trees with several hundred daffs in the 'river bends.'  The idea is for it to naturalize into a flowery river each spring like at Keukenhof! ;D

All the daffs and a large portion of muscari have flowered but there are completely bald sections of the muscari planting of up to half a metre long. It doesn't seem to be the shade or the aspect, could it be the depth of the bulbs as they were planted in several sessions by various helpers?

My query is whether I need to replant the bald patches or is it likely they will come up next year? I am going to extend the river another 15m this autumn. Many thanks for any help!

12/05/2013 at 10:56

If they haven't come up I'd replant but if they are up but haven't flowered, wait and see what happens next year. If you have doubts about the planting depth you could dig a few up and check 

13/05/2013 at 10:47

Thanks so much Nutcutlet, much as I suspected....

email image
3 messages