8 messages
18/02/2014 at 15:23

At present we have a path made of slabs sitting too low level with the soil and with heavy rain part of the path becomes flooded. I want to raise the height of the path by about 5 or 6 inches to fix the problem. Any suggestions of what to do?

I could re use the current slabs or build a grit path or block pave.

Suggestions welcome.

18/02/2014 at 15:54

Lift the slabs level off the soil then put hard core, then sand, tamp and relay slabs. You could then cement the edges of the path to hold the slabs in place.  This should lift it high enough for rain to run off the edges.  I have the same problem but most of our path is concrete so no chance to lift and re-lay.  

18/02/2014 at 16:05

Sound like a good easy fix and reuses the existing slabs.

18/02/2014 at 19:15

Might want to check with someone else first though Greg as I am no builder. 

18/02/2014 at 20:28

Greg, you may be fixing one problem and creating another - a path higher than the adjacent lawn may make it difficult to mow the lawn edge cleanly.  

What about creating a new path with brick pavers (the centre of the path should be fractionally higher than the sides) and then along each side run a 6" wide gully about 6 " deep filled with coarse gravel - the water will tend to run off the path into the gravel-filled gully. 

18/02/2014 at 21:08

Hi Greg, I've been lifting lots of the paths around my garden as the soil level has raised over the years.  I've lifted the existing slabs, put down a mix of grit and sharp sand, tamped down and relaid the slabs on top.

As Dove says, it's good to get the level just right, if you are laying next to a lawn it should be 1/2 inch or so higher than the soil level.  This will stop the grass from growing over the slabs and give you a nice crisp edge which won't be prone to flooding.

18/02/2014 at 21:26

And actually, thinking about a path 6 inches higher than the lawn - it sounds dangerous - an open invitation to many ricked ankles if you ask me 

19/02/2014 at 16:16

At the moment the path is edged with blue engineering bricks level to the lawn, I could do with raising the height of the path and the lawn really, though raising the lawn height would be a big job and costly. I may have to settle on doing the path initially, at least I will be able to keep my feet dry when it floods.

email image
8 messages