Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Patio flaking and worn - how to fix

Hi I'm after some advice, a lot of my patio slabs are flaking and worn due to the cold weather. I don't really have the funds to replace the patio, I just wonder if anybody has any advice on a cheaper solution, I'm thinking would it be possible to sort of paint them with some solution that will be like a gravelly and protection cover. Has anybody had a similar problem and what did they do? Any ideas would be Appreciated Thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

What are the slabs made from James?

• Concreate I guess the sort of cheap slabs you get from Diy stores, they are cream and probably 50cm X 50cm with a patterned effect on top which is now flaking away despite having been treated.
  • I do believe that there is a paint on the market for painting over slabs. I would not consider using a masonry paint as that would not be waterproof. Most slabs of that sort have a dye mix applied to the concrete before the slabs are produced.

How long have the slabs been down as they should be guaranted to not flake but colour would be effected over a period of time and traffic. 

• Hi Thanks for all the advice

They have been like it for a few years, but get worse every cold winter, I think they must of just been a bad batch.

Anybody got any idea about this paint that I could paint over them with or any other ideas?

Thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

James you can get a concrete sealant which you apply during the dry weather. Trouble is once that type of slab has started to flake it's very difficult to stop them just getting worse. The water has got in and then frozen, that's why it flakes. You'd be better off replacing them, then seal them. It may not be a bad batch, just age catching up with them.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

It seems you're , well your slabs, are suffering from delamination. 

If it were me, I'd avoid future heartache, bite the bullet and replace them. 

IMHO you're merely delaying the inevitable by doing anything else.

Devon.
  • James have you prized a slab up? The under side, especially if bedded in sand could be in better shape than the delaminated top surface. By flipping every slab over then using a very stiff yardbrush and new grout sand you may stretch the lifespan. If they have cement blobs underneath then perhaps not worth the effort.

Resin coating the surface once cleaned of loose material may prolong the life of the slabs as they currently lay. Good Luck