London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
11/10/2012 at 18:05

Has anyone had or have a patio pot grown cherry tree, i brought this specaily for the patio has i didnt want it getting too big but this summer & last years summer it lost its leaves early and what looked like sap laeaking out of tiny holes all over the bark. I looked at every cm of it & couldnt find any pest of any kind, I moved it into shade incase it was getting too much sun but it didnt seem to help, then some branches started to die back. I still got fruit of it but its not looking very healthy & am now worried it might not make it through the winter.

Any suggestions on how to save my cherry tree??

11/10/2012 at 21:40

There are two possibilities that I can think of. If the blossom is fading very fast and the leaves are falling early you may have blossom wilt, described, with treatment, here.

Alternatively, and perhaps more likely, you may have canker - see here.

Although there is treatment for both these problems, if you tree is badly affected I would be tempted to replace it with a fresh one.

12/10/2012 at 16:49

Hello. I get plenty of blossom & cherries ( if i can beat the birds to them) & I've looked up canker, which I've seen on my sisters apple & pear trees but this is different, I thought I figured out what was wrong last summer.. cant remember what it was called but it suggested the plant was too hot so I mooved the pot into some shade & kept it there this summer which helped a little but still oozed sap..

I have thought about just getting a new one but I've nursed this tree for a few years now, it was one of my 1st fruit trees, its not done too well since a big fat pigeon sat on one of the main branches & broke it. I'm a little reluctant to let it die..

24/06/2013 at 11:31

I have a one that had blossom then two green cherries that have now dropped off.This is its first full year.Can anyone help.

email image
4 messages