London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
15 messages
06/08/2013 at 18:16

Hello.

can any body tell me why my peppers are turning yellow and dropping of just after flowering.

Dave.

06/08/2013 at 18:27

Because they haven't been fertilized.  Make sure the ventilation is good so the insects can get at them, although they are usually self-fertile, sometimes they need a hand.

06/08/2013 at 19:15

The plants are outside, there are loads of bees and hover flies around them and i feed regulary.

07/08/2013 at 00:17

Then all you need is patience, as they still have not been fertilized.  

07/08/2013 at 00:31

i have many swelling up ok but there  are many just dying off.

07/08/2013 at 07:07

You could try helping nature along by using a paintbrush and pretending to be a bee - I think the buzzing sound is optional !

07/08/2013 at 07:18

Hot, dry winds and dry soil may prevent fruit set or cause abortion of small immature fruits. A uniform moisture supply is essential with peppers, especially during the harvest season. Irrigate to maintain uniform moisture (not soaked). You may want to consider applying a layer of mulch.

Once you have flowers developed, you should apply a balanced fertilizer such as tomorite or chilli focus around the base of your peppers. IF you apply the fertilizer prior to flower before flowers develop, the fertilizer will create more foliage growth and very little to flower development.

Calcium defficiency is also another problem to be concerned with. As with tomatoes, calcium should be applied foliarly and you can find it in a spray form at most of your hardware/garden shops. Please keep in mind that calcium is not readily translocated from roots to developing fruits/foilage so it's a good idea to apply it foliarly once the plant is established.

NOTE: IF you smoke....always remember to wash your hands prior to handling pepper plants. The nicotine causes Tobacco mosaic and is easily spread once it becomes established.

07/08/2013 at 10:18

Unless the soil is calcium deficient, which would only occur in extremely poor soil, a healthy plant should happily distribute calcium via its roots and internal system to the fruit.

The classic calcium-related problem, Blosson End Rot, arises when plant stress causes a hiccup within the plant's internal distribution system from the roots up. Foliar spraying of calcium doesn't help against BER because calcium can't transfer from the leaves to the fruit.

07/08/2013 at 13:28

wow!!! i never new there was so much to learn about peppers, I have used new compost and 1 have been feeding weekly,so i just dont understand what is going on?.I do have lots of developping fruits.

07/08/2013 at 15:57

David, they don't need feeding weekly. Peppers are like toms, they perform a lot better if left to their own devices rather than pampered. In fact, overfeeding can contribute to fruiting problems.

08/08/2013 at 14:09

Thank you for the advice,i will try a little of neglecy and see if that does the job.

20/08/2013 at 18:54

The chillies that i thought i had bought seem to me to be more like a pepper as there is no heat in it,But the shape seems to be like a jalapeno.Maybe it could be a sweet peper?

20/08/2013 at 19:23

You have picked them already? But early..... Did you think they were a jalapeño? Not that hot anyway.... Can you post a pic?

20/08/2013 at 19:51

I only tried one of the to taste them as i love chilli,but hate peppers.

20/08/2013 at 19:53

What is your hotest chili Stace,above a scotch bonnet?

email image
15 messages