Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Perennial Indentification

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me to identify a perennial I have come across twice in the last week or so.

It stands about 3 feet high, with arching/sprawling stems and has tight bell shaped, white flowers with a notable frilly edge. The leaves are oval,dark green, about palm size and have a pointed tip. 

I've searched through all my books and can't find it - any ideas??

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Acnistus australis comes to mind, but a picture would give us a better idea.

You can post by using the tree icon in the tool bar, directly  from your desktop.

Or solomans seal?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Phill - do you mean each individual leaf is palm sized, or do you mean a palmate shape with each leaf being an oval?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KiteKite Posts: 7

No sorry, the flowers are white and shaped more like lilly of the valley and once they go over you're left with a lime green case.

The leaves themselves are about the size of my palm, dark green, oval shaped with a pointed tip.

I know you've said it's a perennial but I was wondering if it was a Pieris? Gaultheria also have flowers like that but the foliage is small.

No sorry - fairly sure it's neither of those - there are no woody stems on the plant whatsoever so I'm reasonably confident that it's a perennial of some kind.

One of the Comfreys?

Photo?