13 messages
18/09/2013 at 17:47

I have a new greenhouse and I have had a particularly unpleasant problem which I did not expect to have to deal with. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of flies come into the GH and can't find their way out. They eventually die and create a nasty mess all over. It's really rather horrid, not least for the insects, which includes bees, butterflies and moths.

Does anyone have any bright ideas of what to do. Fly paper wouldn't cope with the large numbers and the design of the GH ( square with a high apex) doesn't allow their escape.   

18/09/2013 at 19:23

Does your GH have an open louvre window at one end? Does it have an openable window in the roof and is it kept open during the day?

I have a small GH with both of these and, although insects get in (I suppose that they are attracted by the flowers inside) they do find their way out eventually.

Lakeland Plastics used to sell grey plastic netting to hang at french windows to keep flies out of houses. They may still sell them. They work well in our house and may provide you with an answer.

18/09/2013 at 19:57

Thanks waterB. but there is no window in the roof which is the main problem. lots of windows and door to let them , but they go up and can't get out. 

My only idea is to place a bright light at ground level outside the open door to lure them out at night. Do you think this might work?

18/09/2013 at 20:14

It might attract moths in!

Is there no way to install an opening window in the roof at all? If not, take a look at The Fly Screen Company's website. They may be able to make you something to fit over your existing window and door openings. Or there may be a standard size that you can adapt to fit.

We got them through Lakeland but I see that Lakeland no longer sell them. They really work very well.

18/09/2013 at 20:24

try a catapult with small stones

18/09/2013 at 20:26

I would place the light outside at ground level by the open door. Moths would be attracted but hopefully not to go inside. Will look into the fly screen idea but am reluctant to drill into the structure to secure the blinds. Thinking caps back on.....

18/09/2013 at 20:44

The netting is quite light weight. You could stick it to the frame with those sticky tabs.

18/09/2013 at 20:56

Good point, thanks WB.

19/09/2013 at 10:22
the old hanging plastic strip cutains are used to keep lots of unwanted s out of the allotment greenhouses ,you used to see them everywhere years ago ,the (in thing ) they were, not so now but they do work quite well for the greenhouse door they also keep the birds out,
19/09/2013 at 10:59

I once lived in a house that was plagued by flies. After talking to the old boy down the road we hung bunches of elderberry leaves in the window. Voila! No flies

19/09/2013 at 15:41

What a lovely natural idea, Adam...... Will try it.

20/09/2013 at 12:04

You could also try lemon or lavendar.  We had a big problem a few months ago with big black flies using downstairs for aerial display practice & the bay window looked like a kamikaze fly central.  

Switched kitchen cleaner to a lemon one, planted lavendar in window boxes & got a lavendar room scent.  Not a single fly since.  

Basil is another natural option.

20/09/2013 at 12:57

Interested in the Lavender/Lemon/Basil/Elderberry comments, are flies put off by the smell?

email image
13 messages