London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
4 messages
21/12/2012 at 16:34

Anybody out there who can help with advice about the problem of red-spider mites on house plants? One of my prized plants was killed stone dead in one infestation ( a 30 year old citrus shrub that I'd grown from a pip). Does anyone know of a systemic insecticide that works? Some of my other plants are being affected.

21/12/2012 at 17:19

Sorry to hear about the demise of the citrus shrub. Dr Hessayen "Expert" series does give some really good advice about how to deal with it......... including insecticide but just can't find the book at the moment

If I remember right I think red spider mite are a symptom of dry/hot  conditions, I would remove any webs or signs of it with a damp cotton bud and mist the plant regularly

Found it... his advice

"Daily misting will help prevent attack; spray with derris, malathion or systemic insecticide as soon as the first signs are seen" Hope that helps a little

21/12/2012 at 21:04

I think that Provado Ultimate Bug Killer should get it. Derris is no longer available; I'm not sure about malathion - on checking, yes, it looks like it's been banned too.

21/12/2012 at 22:35

Thanks so much to the both of you who gave me advice on the red-spider mite, I already do the humidity/misting thing and will search the shelves for 'Provado' wish me luck.

email image
4 messages