Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Paul Antony

Morning all,

I wonder if anyone can tell me if an effective spray or something else exists that is repellent to rabbit's? My garden is a container garden which currently looks a bit like Strangeways Prison due to the amount of chicken wire surrounding my containers.

I would like to say there are some plants she doesn't like eating BUT then I think she just gets bored and chews through stems anyway. 

The obvious answer is to shoot the rabbit but my grand daughter would never speak to me again!

nutcutlet

I think I'd restrict the rabbit's freedom to roam

Paul Antony

Yes, I suppose that's better than bringing out my shot guns but I was hoping there might be a product on the market that rabbits just seriously dislike ... but thanks anyway. 

DorsetUK

My (children's) rabbits ate the telephone wires coming into the house so I think anything in the garden is fair game as far as a rabbit is concerned.  Big run is the only answer

Dovefromabove

There's no real difference in the culinary tastes of wild and tame rabbits - however tame rabbits are braver and have less survival instinct so will try anything. 

We had rabbits when my children were young.  We had a large enclosed garden and from time to time they were allowed out of their run to hop, skip and jump with freedom, BUT ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION!!! 

The rest of the time they were out in a run which could be moved to a fresh patch of clover each day

Advertisement

Apart from "Happy" and "Mouse" Dove, who I seem to remember had special treatment!  but yes, I think restricted right to roam is probably best bet! Not to be trusted not to nibble!

Lyn

My daughter has a playpen for hers when she cant watch her.

Dovefromabove

Wonky hasn't confessed, but I'll tell all - her rabbit called Mouse (because he'd been the smallest of the litter when he was born) was regularly found curled up on her pillow next to her, both of them sound asleep, when I went to check on her in bed at night !!!

And Happy was a big buck Daddy Rabbit, who lived with the goat kids 'cos if we left him with the lady bunnies all the time ....... well!!!  Think we'd have had too many rabbits!!!

Paul Antony

Thanks everyone! I had a feeling that there probably wasn't any kind of spray available. And I know also that she should be allowed to run only under supervision but as we all work I feel kind of guilty keeping her locked up all day ... yes, I know I'm soft. I'll deal with it with the chicken wire (the plants not the rabbit). and hopefully keep both females happy.

pansyface

A friend in Kent just told me that she had been staying at her daughter's house while the family went on holiday. She had been rabbit-sitting for her daughter and had put them into the pen for a spot of aunshine. As she sat in the garden reading a book, with the rabbits in their run at the end of the lawn, a fox jumped over the fence and began to try to tip up the rabbit run. She couldn't believe her eyes. She jumped up and the fox lollopped away without a care in the world. The run is now held down with paving stones.

Dovefromabove

I'd back a fox against paving stones any day and if the fox knows there's a rabbit there it'll come back - I'd use weld mesh to make the run, including the floor, and fix something noisy to the run (some bells?) so that if it was tipped it made a noise - foxes don't like making a noise.