Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Philadelphus wilt

I bought a Philadephus online at the end of last year and it arrived looking like dry twigs that had long shuffled off this mortal coil. Anyway I planted it in the border, and promptly forgot about it. 

This spring, imagine my delight when fresh green leaves sprouted and it appeared to have thrived. And yet a couple of days ago those precious leaves began to look jaded, and now they are very wilted.

What gives? I fed everything with a general purpose feed a couple of weeks ago. I've watered a couple of times a week, but it hasn't been particularly dry, and everything else is fine. We've had a zillion slugs but the Philadelphus leaves weren't touched. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I water things in at this time of year but nothing is being watered except pots. Maybe too much water?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

agree with watering, but maybe too much food too early has forced young soft growth which isn't liking the chilly nights?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I agree - there's nothing like a bit of benign neglect for hardy plants at this time of year - let the spring work it's magic.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I can do benign neglect

Thanks
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

loving the line  " I can do benign neglect"

Devon.
  • it's dead now. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY !

(jk)