Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Phyllostachys viridglaucescens bamboo growing problems

Hi I planted 3 Phyllostachys viridglaucescens in August 2012 for a screen at the bottom of our garden. They were approximately 2ft in height when I planted them.

They seem to be growing at different speeds as the one on the left of the flower bed is doing quite well and is getting to about 6ft in height and has 5 new shoots coming through the ground already this spring.

The middle one is  now about 4ft in height and the one on the right hand sizes hasn't really grown at all.

Any advise would be great as I am struggling to work out what is happening to the growth of these bamboo plants.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

What's underneath the 3 plants, ie soil conditions? That may be your problem. Most bamboos need some moisture retention in the soil, if your drainage is uneven or something else is sucking up the moisture, that will be the cause. Post a pic using the green tree icon that may give us more idea.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Or is one of them getting more sun -  as the growth seems to be progressive it does seem that something in the conditions is gradually different - if you get my meaning image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.