London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
7 messages
29/03/2012 at 19:26

Last year my six cabbages were shredded by wood pigeons.  How do I stop this happening again?  Netting isn't an option as I'm about to give a home to a hedgehog and don't want to risk it getting entangled.

30/03/2012 at 21:13

Wyevale are selling large netted cloches.  The net is taut so your hedgehog may be safe.

31/03/2012 at 10:10

Thanks, cloud8.  I'll have a look at them.

31/03/2012 at 11:15

There is a product called Graze on the market which when sprayed onto crops deters pigeons, rabbits and deers munching on the leaves. I haven't tried it- but it is supposed to be sdafe for all animals- just deters nibblers!

25/04/2012 at 16:18

Sounds good - except that I've just looked at the price!  Since making this posting, I've acquired half an allotment so may transfer my cabbages there, not so much chance of hedgies!  (Still lots of pigeons though!)

Thank you both for your suggestions.

25/04/2012 at 19:32

Have you tried setting up a line of unwanted cds'/dvds, with the discs tied at intervals along the line? Apparently when they move and catch the light it scares the birds away.  I recently saw an advert for balloons that did the same job but I imagine you'd have to keep blowing them up!

27/04/2012 at 07:45

You can net your brassicas not only to keep the pigeons off but also the cabbage whites too and it wion;'t tangle round your hedgehogs either. Go to your local scaffolding company and ask if they have a small length of their debris netting. This you can put over hoops and peg into the soil along the soil.

email image
7 messages