London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
8 messages
01/08/2012 at 14:27

HELP, My pinks have been great but after deadheading earylier in the summer, but my new flower buds have not bloomed they are just dying at the bud stage anybody know what Ive done wrong or can give advise??

01/08/2012 at 14:58

I did look on the internet and they say to pinch out the dead but this didnt help the whole plant stem came out thats not good is it :/

01/08/2012 at 16:36
billy nomates wrote (see)

I did look on the internet and they say to pinch out the dead but this didnt help the whole plant stem came out thats not good is it :/

When you say that, I assume you mean that the whole stem came away when you tried to pull of the dead buds?

Regardless, perhaps the problem is the damp weather we've been having? Perhpas they are not happy sitting in a damp soil and the stems are dying as a result?

Just a guess...

01/08/2012 at 16:46

Lots of things that would normally be dead headed have to have their dead flowers nipped off with the secatuers, the ground was so wet that the whole plant came out or the stem just came off at the rot line! Great gardening year isn't it?

01/08/2012 at 19:21

Thought it might have been the weather, or maybe I should have been  a bit more gentle, but you have to grab your gardening moments in between the rain drops. I was hoping to get alot of flowers this year as I spent alot of time preparing before the spring so that I could enjoy the summer as Im nearly always playing catch up.

02/08/2012 at 12:33

I've had the same problem Billy, with lots of buds just drying and going brown before opening. I think it's the wet, as it has  happened before. I just cut them off when I deadhead, with the hope that they may try to bloom again. Nice to know I'm not alone!

02/08/2012 at 13:29

Up to now mine have put on a good show . This year I gave them a ''collar'' of gravel around the plants. Think that has helped - had more flowers this time,

02/08/2012 at 22:36
Mine too. I just dead head and hope the weather improves. Far too much rain for the dianthus this year.
email image
8 messages